Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

I love it @AIMR! Your geese look like they are listening to you. Great job shadowing their fronts. She is perfect! The use of personal letters paired with origami papers - with that collar! - really brings it.

Love, love, love.

1 Like

I love what you ladies made! One of these sessions, I’ll be back to join you! I wouldn’t have been good company today, that’s for sure. In any case, I love how each of you clearly followed the same tutorial, but each put your own spin on it.

3 Likes

These are lovely! Wish I could have been there! Fingers crossed for next time!!

1 Like

They all turned out so good! I wish I could have stayed and hung out with you all. Dumb life-things had to get dealt with in that moment (bleh).
I worked on my page later on and this morning; I kept the layout but collaged everything with painted papers and photos, and just drew in a few details:

Toni Burt’s was The Goose Girl, and mine is The Condor Kid. :laughing:

7 Likes

Holy * swearword *

I am just flabbergasted. This is it. This is the love. Epically wonderful. The colors. You even made her a bird. Sending the power out. Geeze. All the different. angles of the condor heads. So skillful!

I’m gonna Rock This one old skool style: \m/

I am going to start going way out with the next videos. I need to push myself. What a great inspiration @calluna

1 Like

Oh wow!! This is A-Mazing! I love everything you put in to this piece, especially the bird heads and cut feathers - so much life!

I agree with @JoyfulClover, seeing all these different takes on the initial idea is great inspiration to push out beyond what’s comfortable and try new things.

I posted mine on the art board already, but I should record it in the craftalong too …

Blackbird girl

This group is an inspiration!

7 Likes

wow @calluna…I love how out of the box you went…it is wonderfully dark and compelling…

1 Like

Thank you!

yes! I love that! The girl’s wing-ish things (they’re still forming, she’ll get pretty ones as she grows) are actually journal pages from a very dark time in my life, which I had tossed into a campfire a couple years ago but they wouldn’t burn. I pulled the singed pages out of the fire pit the next morning and knew they were meant to be reused in art, once I got the smoke smell out! :grin: So those really bad times, represented by the paper, transformed to become my wings.
Also, I grew up in the heart of the California condors’ habitat range, but somehow I’ve never incorporated condors into art or my personal visual vocabulary. Time to start!

5 Likes

@calluna
What a strong testiment of self.

1 Like

I love the condors!

Thank you, I think @craftADDchick’s vulture ATC has stuck with me, because ever since I saw it I’ve been considering carrion-eating birds like condors strangely cute. :grin: I mean, I never didn’t like condors, but I didn’t give them much thought. And now I get excited when I see vultures out and about.

(ETA: the cuteness does not extend to their eating and digestion! I’ve been up close and personal with turkey vulture defense-vomiting, and I don’t recommend it)

2 Likes

We did this video a couple months ago and a month ago were going to do it again but I had to bail at the last minute.

So I’m finally getting around to hosting it! Several of us really enjoyed this video and wanted to try it again.
And it’s a good video for beginners if you want to jump in and join us!

3 Likes

Me!

[Ugh, my post isn’t long enough]

I’m so sad that I missed the last one, but I wasn’t following the thread. Now I’ve got it on notify! I’d love to join in the fun.

2 Likes

I am going to do a little prep to my canvas since it is so large, but I want to follow along with the rest of it on Saturday with you guys to get it done without overthinking it…count me in!

3 Likes

I should be able to be there!

3 Likes

Yay!

You should! Because these peeps are on FIRE!

1 Like

Yay! I’ll be there!

2 Likes

I tried the goose girl again. This time the paper was smaller and I drew the face. I think I like it a bit better. The whole thing isn’t really my style but I tried.

8 Likes

I like this one, too! And I’m proud of you for all the white space!! You did a great job on her face and on those geese!