Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

No need to apologise!

Please send me the link too :grinning: I’m often awake in the middle of the night, and if I’m up I’d love to join (if you don’t mind me in my pyjamas!)

1 Like

Not only was I convinced that yesterday was Friday, but I texted the president of my university (as in my bosses,bosses,boss) saying something about how great it was too be at the end of another week facepalm

3 Likes

I’m interested! Now to rummage around my craft closet and see what supplies I have.

2 Likes

If I get enough videos edited by then (wasn’t that why I jumped on the computer in the first place…?) and if I’m up that early and if I’m not feeling extreme social anxiety… then I’d like to join too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m interested! I will have to find an image that I can use for the cheater method of face drawing, but I should be able to find one tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Psst… Your craftalong is the Featured Craftalong for this quarter!

Congrats to all of you for making this such a vibrant, joyful, artistic space!

8 Likes

I’m am very excited about the zoomaLong. It’s it saturday yet?

In the meantime, talk to me about Tim holtz distress inks and distress ink oxides? They are a bit pricey here, but I’m willing to splash the cash if they are worth while,?? I tried some of the techniques he shows online to make cool backgrounds, with the stamps I have, but they turned out a bit rubbish tbh. So I’m wondering if I should just get some. And if so oxides? Or regular?

They are good. Not Great. Either the inks or the oxides. I honestly can’t tell a difference.

But there are 2 issues that prevent me from buying more at normal price because they are so expensive
1 - the colors are not super vibrant
2 - the lids in all of them and in the mini size never stay on properly and they dry out fast.

I use a lot of ColorBox inks. They are vibrant and “juicy” and last a long time.

For black I usually get staz-on or Ranger archival ink pads

3 Likes

That is really good to know, thanks @geekgirl

I haven’t tried either of the inks personally, but I’ve seen the oxides in use, and to me, they don’t seem to be worth it. You can get similar effects using other materials.

1 Like

I agree with the above. I prefer acrylic over water-reactive stuff. I have a few of the ink pads and I like the backgrounds you can make, but the colors are subtle.

1 Like

I really want to join in with one of these, but this is 1am for me. Not sure if I’ll be able to stay awake :stuck_out_tongue: This tutorial looks great though, so I’m going to challenge myself to have a go by myself and share my results with everyone :slight_smile:

I was just about to launch into buying distress oxides for backgrounds…is there an alternate product you could recommend @craftADDchick?

Do you use these successfully for blending backgrounds @geekgirl? That’s what I’m hoping to do with the inks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too, or would watercolours be a better option. I’ve seen someone online mix watercolour with a tiny bit of acrylic to retard dryibg and give opacity so it can be layered.

Honestly I use acrylic paint to blend backgrounds. You have to have a super light touch. And I’ll use any kind of acrylics but the ones that work the best are also pricey. Probably equivalent to distress oxides in price and that would be Dylusion paints. They are rich and creamy and blend so well. But don’t do like me and use them sparingly because they are expensive. Because they also dry out. But these I will buy. But only a few colors I really like. I’ve tried reconstituting one by adding water and it turned into a chunky mess.

You can find tutorials with Dyan Reaveley showing how to blend with them.

1 Like

Do you use a blending tool, or dauber (if that’s what they are called)?

I guess I should start using these then hey? :speak_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

I will definitely check out some Dylan Reaveley tutorials, thanks :smiling_face:

1 Like

Lol. You are well stocked! Use them up before they dry out!

I started off with a blending tool. It’s easy to learn with it and gives good results. Now I often use makeup sponges.

On tip. When you start blending come in on the side of the page like have your tool half on the paper snd half on you work surface and make circular motions.
Plopping down straight on the paper doesn’t give as nice an effect

4 Likes

Great advice!! I am too tired to make a mess now, but I will definitely have a play tomorrow and let you know how I go :relaxed:

1 Like

Hey, @PrincessP, I REALLY loved your watercolor dementor you posted here! Would you be willing to show us how to do this technique, via Zoom? Obviously when it would be convenient for you? Maybe late on Fri or Sat (for us), so early Sat or Sun for you.

https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/zoom-meet-up/5522/419

2 Likes

I’m not an expert, and I don’t have much experience with making backgrounds, but the effect I’ve seen multiple times using oxide inks is a blotchy look, similar to the effect you get when you put salt on wet watercolors. If I can use inexpensive watercolors (in a wide variety of colors) and salt (also very cost effective), to achieve that same look, it’s not worth it to me to buy the inks.

They may have other uses that I haven’t seen which could give you more bang for your buck, so don’t rely solely on my opinion which is probably very limited in scope. :slight_smile:

And, I’m looking forward to tomorrow morning! I just found out that I’m supposed to attend a 2 hour meeting from 9-11 but, fortunately, I could say, with a clear conscience, “I have plans!”

2 Likes

Thank you @JoyfulClover I would love to :blush: Perhaps we should see whomever else would like to join us and pick a time that suits everyone? Otherwise, Friday evening your time works really well for me :slight_smile:

The materials you will need are paper, ink (calligraphhy/india/anything black like that), round tip brushes, water and more paper, because once you get making them you can’t stop :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes