Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

@edel and @geekgirl I’m loving these France Papillion inspired journal pages! I watched one of her videos over the weekend and I need to gather some supplies so I can give one a try. I’d be very interested in doing a video-a-long for one of her videos (after I gather said supplies).

2 Likes

I was more focused on the outcome. Also the first time around I just got my paper way too wet and could never get it dry enough. This time I was more careful not to do that and I didn’t do as many layers.

Cool!

I’ll be back with my supplies from tomorrow, so I can do one any time after that… Let me know what time works for you. Bear in mind I’m 5 hours ahead of Eastern time, but I’m also a bit of a night owl so starting at 10/11pm would be fine for me.

@geekgirl less water, I’ll try that the next time

Maybe another Saturday morning (my time, so I think Saturday afternoon your time) like we did the last video a couple weeks ago?

I’m not sure what supplies I should really be focusing on obtaining. Do you have any suggestions/favorites?

I’ve got - gesso, gel medium, acrylic paints, watercolors, and some pretty basic stencils (I’m going to try making some with my Cricut). I noticed she uses a lot of water reactive inks and pigment powders, do you think they’re worth looking into? I looked at ordering from her site and would have to pay almost $30 just for shipping :grimacing:

I’m up for another video also.

You may want some texture paste. Seems she uses it a lot. You can buy or make it. Edel made some with baking soda and glue.

I don’t have water reactive powders. I do have some India and acrylic inks. I just make do with what I have. By using water colors or thinning down acrylic.

I looked up homemade texture paste and found a recipe by our own @Onyxnox!
She used baby powder but I’ve seen it with baking soda or cornstarch. The ratios are the same in either case

http://onyxnox.blogspot.com/2014/02/homemade-texture-paste-versus-store.html?m=1

2 Likes

I don’t have reactive inks either, just regular calligraphy inks. She used embossing powders in the last one and I don’t have those either. I think texture paste would be good, but I reckon you could add baking soda to gel medium and get the same effect. She seems to use stencils (but usually only one background type one) and stamps-again just background type one, usually numbers or letters.

I think you’ve got enough, @photojenn like @geekgirl says making do with what you have is a good stretch.

One thing she does use, that you could make, is circular masks, she has mylar ones. I’m going to cut some from acetate sheets.

Saturday it is then. What time works?

How is 10am eastern time? I think that’s 3pm for you Edel.

@photojenn do you want to pick one of her videos out for Saturday?

That’s perfect for me. And yes @photojenn why don’t you pick one that appeals to you.

Eek picking a video :grimacing: :joy:

I really like the Letting Go video but feel like we should pick a different one since you both already did that one. How about Calmness - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN44rl0ghh4

@geekgirl 10am eastern works for me as well

Arrgh, I’ve done that one. :frowning: How about flow or determination Or grounding they all look excellent?

Doh! Either flow or determination work for me. How about Flow?

And if anyone else wants to join in the art journaling-along on Saturday 3pm Eastern time, pm me for the zoom link. Calling @JoyfulClover @Magpie @PrincessP @jemimah @AIMR @Reinikka @Kwality570 @Lynx @craftADDchick who did I miss?

5 Likes

@calluna
@megwell

2 Likes

Ooooh that’s 6am Sunday for me, might be doable :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the original was 10am Eastern but I can do 3pm Eastern if that works better for everyone else :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think Edel got her time zones mixed up but I can do 3pm eastern also if That works for @Edel (8pm her time)

Here’s the link to the Flow video

https://youtu.be/ss50grLS3jE

From what I can tell, supplies are gesso, stencils, masks, palette knife, ranger glossy accents (no idea what those are and I will either skip that or use something else), ink, black and white pens.
She uses some sort of powdered pigment but I think most of us would just use acrylic or watercolor paints

4 Likes

I would love to but I’m having a looong-postponed-by-covid-lockdowns birthday catchup with family over the weekend. I hope you all have a lot of fun!

It looks like a fun video, I might try on my own too :smiley:

The journal pages and dementors all look so accomplished you guys!!

4 Likes

I wish I could join in on these, but we just don’t have enough internet data for me to do many Zooms and my kids need it more for their live meetings with their teachers. Also, I have some errands I need to run on Saturday. I enjoy looking at all the cool things you guys make.

1 Like

It’s difficult to take pictures of, but my test to make stencils and masks with my Cricut was a success! I bought a box of dollar store flexible cutting mats earlier this year which seem to be perfect for making stencils.

6 Likes