Parrots on black background

So, my MIL and her best friend decided last year that they were going to take up cross-stitch to pass the time. My MIL has some experience in this arena, her bestie…none at all. They started ordering kits off Amazon without reading all the fine details. This parrot on black background number was one of them. They quickly realized that it’s very challenging to count stitches on black Aida cloth. It soon became my project to complete for the bestie.

As is typical for me, I modified this thing quite a bit. I changed all the stitches to full cross with two strands, did some back stitch detailing/outlining, and filled in the background with DMC Pearl cotton.
The finished canvas was approximately 7” x 14”. I used some velvet upholstery fabric to square out the front and cover the back, creating a pillow in the process.

18 Likes

This is beautiful and I love that you turned it into a pillow. It looks like a LOT of work. Did you give it back to your Mom’s Bestie when you finished? Or do you get to keep it?

2 Likes

Thanks so much. No, it goes to the best friend, but she doesn’t know yet. I just finished the pillow construction yesterday.

3 Likes

Oh, and it was A LOT of work. But, I can’t resist a challenge.

3 Likes

It turned out to be quite lovely…it is so great that you took on the challenge and managed to save it…I know I can’t see on black canvas anymore either, so you have done a kindness as well to an “older” person…

She is going to love it…everything just looks like it was meant to be…

1 Like

lovely and dramatic. Whew, what a lot of work! black on black stitching makes me go crosseyed.

1 Like

You saved the day! So nice of you to take over the project and then give it back to the bestie… especially already in a displayable format. WOO!

Wow, Gorgeous! I’ve recently taken up cross stitch too, and this looks like so much work. It is stunning :star_struck:

It looks great!

Beautiful! She will be thrilled!

Thank goodness I have a lighted magnifier to use. It helped immensely.

1 Like

I have a lighted magnifier which made it much easier to do.

1 Like

@TheMistressT Based on the dimensions of the finished canvas, it was supposed to be framed and hung, but she has a lot of wall art already. She has an awesome couch that it will look perfect on, so I turned it into a pillow.

1 Like

Probably my favorite way to display a cross stitch.

1 Like

It came out stunning!

It turned out gorgeous!

@MissingWillow @kittykill Thanks. I hope she likes it.

2 Likes

Wow that looks amazing! Makes me want to go on vacation right now to a tropical location :palm_tree: :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

Wow! What a labor of love!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Parrots on a Black Background is one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!