Pearl: A Restoration, Ongoing

I was excited to see that you had posted another chapter in Pearl’s ongoing story. Love that you can identify the hands of different quilters, and that you are building images in your mind of the group that must have collaborated.

2 Likes

This quilt definitely ended up in the right hands! I love that you aren’t just restoring it, you’re discovering it’s story as you go along. Thank you for sharing this journey with all of us.

As an avid listener of cozy mysteries (97% of which feature a cat and/or dog on the cover), the accuracy of your statement made me chuckle. :smiling_face:

4 Likes

This is definitely a possibility, and would also explain the difference in quality of stitching, if it was mostly by only one or two individuals over time, and they got more skilled with each section. I favor lots of people over a short period of time, instead, only because all but one of the sections have at least two or three prints in common. I know how my scrap basket looks, and I experienced it in microcosm during my mask-making. The prints available sort of evolve. Like you might expect any two or three sections to have fabrics in common with each other but not with the rest, and could sort of follow a timeline in that way.

2 Likes

Sounds reasonable. I acquire other people’s scraps so my collection is representative of hoarding, lol.

I wondered about the side panel, machine sewn with mostly suiting. Maybe the quilt was set aside when scraps ran short and when there were enough to start again it was different fabrics & also a new machine. So cool to think about anyhow.

2 Likes

Oh, sorry. I may have misspoken. The panel that is mostly made of suiting is hand-stitched and not on the edge. It’s just not foundation pieced like the rest. The strip of machine-sewing is the same overall fabric selection as the rest of the sections, just foundation pieced on the machine instead of by hand.

1 Like