Pick a Bean

Apparently, I cross-stitch now(?!). I love the subversive cross-stitch concept, taking a craft that can feel dated and fussy (hey there, gender roles) and giving it a different feel with weirdness or unexpected language. The last time I cross-stitched was as a kid, but it turned out to be a good holiday gift for a tight budget and friends with a sense of humor.

This is paraphrased from a sweet and soothing Joe Pera show, which just happens to be available to watch this week here.

I used a lettering generator from Stitchpoint and gradually worked out the trellis and leaves on Stitchfiddle.

The vines were easier to do organically than plan, and I’m so happy with how they turned out. But the arch felt too empty, and the only possible answer was a dinosaur. One who might just dream of reaching up to pick a bean. I tried to make a basket from two different color threads, to imitate a woven structure, but I think it would have worked better had I put the lighter color crossed over top.

28 Likes

That’s really funny! Nice job.

1 Like

Lovely piece

1 Like

Very cute and humorous! I like how you did the basket and vines…

1 Like

That is so great!

1 Like

I had never heard of Stitchfiddle and I needed it! I was trying to figure out a pattern this weekend. You saved my project by making a super cool one yourself! That dragon is absolutely perfect. He is so expressive.

1 Like

This is so awesome! The Dino was a good touch…he totally makes it. The whole thing tells a story and I love it. Awesome job! That’s so neat you designed it yourself!

2 Likes

I’m super impressed that you designed this yourself! And, the dinosaur just cracks me up- he’s so cute, but I feel bad for him!

2 Likes

@gozer Aw, yay! It’s a little awkward, especially the copy-paste function, but I found especially helpful to work through general ideas and tricky sections. People making full pieces blow my mind.

@Whistlefish Thats so cool to hear! Telling a story was exactly what I hoped would happen.

@craftADDchick You just reminded me that I meant to make a little twig ladder to attach to the frame! Oops. Reach for your dreams, dino friend. Don’t be afraid to wear platform shoes to do it.

3 Likes

Wow, what a fab design!!

Congrats, your project is featured this week!

1 Like

Aww thank you, that’s so cool!! :orange_heart:

Here’s our dino friend in their frame, for celebration purposes.

8 Likes

That looks very interesting. I don’t know the reference and the show is blocked to watch here in Canada but no matter, the project turned out great. Thanks for all the links too, I will bookmark them for future projects.

1 Like

Clever beyond reason. And you made your own pattern! Excellentito!!

1 Like

I love everything about this!! <3

1 Like