Pods and leaves

This is another of my poorly planned designs that came out surprisingly well…

This time, I just drew on a little oval (!) scrap of muslin and started stitching, then had a heckatime keeping it in the hoop and finishing it.

Once it was mounted on cardboard and the edge stitched, I decided it needed padding, so I had to snip a bunch of mounting threads, add (a little too much) stuffing, then wrestle it all back into place.

See? Padded! I’m going to pad more pieces, I love the effect.

The lavender thread was an experiment; white thread dyed with watered down craft paint. I dyed it, then separated the floss into six threads after it was dry. It was a teensy bit stiffer than untreated floss, but got more flexible as I stitched. I’ve already ordered a bunch more white floss to make custom variegated threads.

It was inspired by these sketches; some were from line drawings, others from fiber jewelry. I guess I’m feelin’ poddy.

20 Likes

I love the little purple flowers.
I have a hard time with embroidery, I always pull my stitches too tight.
I love that you dyed the thread yourself, very crafty :smiley:

1 Like

The lavender was my favorite part even before I read you hand dyed it. So pretty! This is gorgeous. I love when things work out like that.

3 Likes

it looks great! I love the pea pod. And what a good idea of painting your own thread. I wouldn’t have thought of that.

1 Like

All the textures are so wonderful!

1 Like

Oh how lovely!

1 Like

Beautiful! Love that stitch in the pod. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks, all!
The peas are bullion roses.
Bullion stitch is like a french knot gone crazy, gives beautiful depth and texture.

2 Likes

Very nice! I love all the fancy stitches you used!

1 Like

Those textures. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I feel like I just went through a sensory garden.

2 Likes

Very pretty!

1 Like

Who knew that poddy was a feeling? :grin: I’m feelin’ it now, though! The textures are just fabulous. And bravo on the thread dying! The lavender and the pea greens go so well together.

1 Like

So well!! Very beautiful!

1 Like