Pumpkin Seed and Buckwheat Flatbread

Another recipe I created, :rofl:, of course.

Mix together and set aside.

1/2 c. buckwheat
1 c. unbleached flour
6 Tbls. buttermilk powder (It’s what I happen to have, :man_shrugging: ).
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Tbls. Sugar (For a sweeter sweeter batch, add two Tablespoons of sugar).
1/4 c. & 2 Tbls. Ground pumpkin seeds.

Soften 1 tsp. yeast in 3/4 cup warm water.

Mix all ingredients with 1 Tbls. melted butter. (Will be fairly moist). Let sit covered for an hour. To which it will stiffen up, then form into a ball and cover with oil. Let rise for another hour.

This is really really good. Wowza! (Eh! it’s the Fonz)

So far, tried with honey (Meh! :neutral_face:), and butter (Woooooo! :smiley:). Trying to think of some other things to use with them. :thinking:.

I made several balls, and rolled them out to be about 1/8th of an inch thick. Since I didn’t have anything to cover them while they were frying, I just rubbed some water over them to keep them from drying out. Which worked fairly well.

Before this step (Let sit for an hour), it looked more like a no-knead dough, but after the hour was up, it had stiffened up beautifully). Now, it probably would have been better to let sit in the fridge overnight to let the pumpkin seeds flavor the dough better, but I thought I had to do my Thanksgiving shopping tonight, and start cooking tomorrow…:roll_eyes:, that’s the next day, not today, yeesh).

9 Likes

Interesting-sounding recipe! And the wooden spatula is also very nice; I’m assuming you made that as well.

https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/wooden-kitchen-utensils/15328/18 It’s the second one I made oh so long ago, heh. And boy, it has been awesome to use. Crepes, eggs, pancakes, etc…I love it, :smile: . Also, it has been through some stuff, warped pretty bad, and hasn’t cracked yet, :no_mouth:. Wow! Heh!

Aaaaaand, it’s tomorrow I have to do the last bit of shopping…Tonight would be fine, but tomorrow is the end day…Didn’t want to get the pie crusts too early.

2 Likes

These sound great! Looks like you can use them like a pita? I’m surprised they were only meh with the honey. I’m sure you’ll find a winning combination.

Just tried it again, this time cold…and the same. Just meh…:no_mouth:. So color me shocked and surprised as well.

I don’t know what I’ll try as of yet…Mind is still blank, and I’ve got a loooooot of dishes to do (as I start my Thanksgiving cooking tomorrow…Must…Clean…Kitchen…:roll_eyes:, Body don’t fail me now, :rofl:).

Jam! I’m thinking like peach or apricot with a little (lightly) cinnamon-spiced whipped cream…

You make such fun and unusual things, Charles!