Quilt-along 2021

Paper Piecing Tutorial

Hey guys…I learned how to paper piece using this tutorial…I have a small “kit” of a postcard, an add a quarter ruler, and FLAT pins to use for this…the key also is to press after every seam, so I got myself one of those little Clover flat irons as well…

2 Likes

I really like the Massachusetts block. I know it’s similar to the sawtooth star, but it switches it up with the colors across the diagonal of the block. Very fun. Aunt Sukey’s Choice is also very cool.

4 Likes

I’ll add it to our BOM!

2 Likes

I just went and watched the whole thing! I’ve done paper piecing before, but when I went to tackle my first quilt, I watched a video that did things differently, and I couldn’t get it to work. This will hopefully help me get that quilt finished :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The use of the postcard really helped me…I am using one that was sent to me in a swap, of course! lol When I first started, I wasted so much fabric, but I wrote some simple instructions down and pinned it to my bulletin board…I was very pleased with my pieces but this is not the most enjoyable quilting for me …I like doing it for people with certain fandoms…I did a bunch of the evil queens from Disney!

3 Likes

The postcard is a clever trick, and I wish I had watched this video first. But, after watching it, I think I know why I couldn’t get my quilt to work. I think I might be ready to tackle it again… I just have to remember where I stashed it!

1 Like

I did and it’s a great block! I asked for it twice, once with just two colours and once with kid themed fabric, which I used to make a baby gift.

I’d like to nominate this star in a star block … Pat’s Star
I’ve made it several times, it’s fairly easy and looks beautiful with very contrasting fabrics.

5 Likes

What a fun and pretty block, I’ve never seen one like that before!

1 Like

Ooh, that’s really pretty. I remember a few years back (before I deleted my FB and Insta accts) that wonky star blocks were really popular and I’d seen and probably made a few of those blocks with a star as the middle—this reminds me of that, but with the inside star off center a bit. (Wonky stars are much like the sawtooth star except the points are wonky! )

Adding your nomination to our list!

1 Like

That is a unique star for sure! Two for one!

1 Like

I think that’s a pretty good attitude to have! Things that spark joy are definitely worthwhile purchases and crafting supplies most certainly fall into that category :blush:.

If you have the room, I highly suggest a 24” x 36” mat, it works for all projects - big & small!

You can buy handles that have suction cups to stick to the quilting rulers. I bought one a year ago, but I’ve never actually used it. If you search ‘quilting ruler handle,’ you should come up with a few different designs.

You can also make your own by supergluing or screwing suction cups onto drawer pulls (I’ve also seen the same thing done with golf balls instead of the pulls).

Congrats on your ‘new’ sewing machine, that’s great news!

3 Likes

I think I’m just going to get the biggest mat that fits on the table in my craft room. I sew on that table too but I can just put the machine on top of the mat.

I’m rearranging my furniture so I can put the ironing board in the craft room as well - I’m getting rid of a chest of drawers and putting an old kitchen cupboard up on the wall to free up floorspace for the ironing board. I’ve wanted an ironing press for ages so I hope I’ll be able to fit one in. My first job as a teenager was at a dry cleaner’s and after that, any regular iron just seems inefficient.

3 Likes

I have a suction cup holder…most of the time, I only use it if I am cutting through many layers, like in a stack and whack quilt…I have nearly sliced my hands a few time bearing down to cut through many layers, so it is for safety mostly.

I agree that a 24x36 is handy and is the one I use the most…I really need to get a rotating one as I am the one rotating around my table…:slight_smile:

@immaculata…I am sending you a quarter inch foot for your Bernina so that will help with quilting…I also have a few quilting surprises added…your sewing area will be equipped for a lifetime of sewing…this makes me very happy!

Also, does anyone here need a “purple thang”?..I made some serious cash in the stock market and sort of kinda went crazy with buying supplies…I have six extras and would be happy to ship one in an envelope! (You will get one @Immaculata!)

4 Likes

That’s actually one tool I don’t have! If you don’t mind sharing one, I’d be happy to take one off your hands dear.

1 Like

Yes…so handy! Do you want purple, pink, blue or orange? They are not just “purple” anymore…and something that is also interesting…the flat end of it is exactly 1/4 inch so it is a quick way to check seams, etc!

2 Likes

Purple! :purple_heart:

1 Like

Oof, I just purchased my “purple thang add to cart” yesterday which came with a 1/4" quilting foot, but thanks for that generous offer.

1 Like

You will love it! It is great for stuffing, turning corners, putting in elastic and drawstrings, holding down or pushing through fabric…I have several around my room and even in my kitchen junk drawer…I wish I had invented that thing!

3 Likes

ooo a purple thang. I want one. But I can afford my own. I do love that name.

2 Likes