Quilt-along 2021

I think something like this would work, but custom to your pieces. Pretty much what you were talking about…I think no pattern is the way to go. Just cut and see what size stuff you’re working with and then go from there.

3 Likes

My first thought was this pattern. I saw a picture of it on a longarm machine and I was struck by how large the floral panels were. But it seems like if you were to use that pattern, you’d end up with a lot of scenes repeated throughout. I know the Craftsman pattern is intended for larger pieces of fabric also.

Ooh, I like what @Whistlefish just posted and agree that that would be the way to go!

2 Likes

@AudiobookLover I like what you posted! Lol. If the panel was too small she could add coordinating sashing to make it the correct size. But also…that quilt looks like a lot of work. :laughing:

1 Like

Yay for tools that make our projects easier!!!

@MistressJennie wow…that is some specific image fabric…I have a book on nothing but big print quilts, but it sort of assumes all over print rather than scenes…it is almost like a toile in color…hate to cut any of it and you always get weird body parts or headless figures…it is hard for me to visualize where you would cut it to keep all of the scenes…

1 Like

Don’t mess with a quilter! Ha! Love this! I have the yellow Omnigrid one and I use it almost every time I quilt. It’s great for smaller pieces and it’s helpful to me to find that 1/2 and 1/4 inch!

@mistressjennie Goodness! You are as fast as @edel!

Yes, the Craftsman pattern is great for big prints! Both @edel and I have worked that one. I like @whistlefish’s idea – fussy cut the blocks to showcase the images you’d like. You could even find some coordinating solids or like-solids if you needed some “extra” blocks to fill in your quilt. I really like the idea of a black border for this because it will really bring out the picture.

Good luck!

All done! Project post here.

15 Likes

Purple baby quilt update: 40 HSTs left to press and square up. :hot_face:

But the fun part of playing with the layout comes next!!

8 Likes

You two must have posted almost the same time! Purple goodness!!! WoW!

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing! Now, off to swoon on @MistressJennie’s quilt in her post!

1 Like

Thought y’all might enjoy reading this quilting story from the BBC :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@WingsoftheWind That was such a lovely read! Gave me all the feels. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thanks for sharing it with us!

It was lovely…and we have our own little human connection here…lovely to be in this group…

I would attack this with a ruler and some graph paper. And chart out something amazing. It’s a fabulous print.

2 Likes

ADVICE NEEDED

So…I’ve got all my squares done.

There is one particular fabric my mother and I both suspect might be poly cotton. Everything has been prewashed. Can I include with no big issues or should I leave it out?

Some sheets are poly cotton…I have used them for backing and pieces within a scrappy quilt…you can tell if there is any synthetic in fabric and yarn by doing a burn test…

if it burns, it is natural…if it melts, it has synthetic…even a few strands will give a clue…just be safe and use tongs over a sink!

One or two mixed fiber fabrics in a quilt really isn’t a problem, but they will wear differently over time. The good news is that it is a poly/cotton and not 100% poly. I wouldn’t worry about it.

The smell is a tip-off as well with a burn test. Cotton, linen, hemp smell like burning paper, silk and wool like hair, and synthetics, well, like plastic.

1 Like

@AIMR @marionberries @magpie

Well, it looks like a burn test will be today’s science lesson for homeschool! :laughing:

Thanks!!

2 Likes

lol yep…I have to let my husband know in advance because he is really sensitive to smells…I can usually do it outside with a bucket of water…I have a real fear of fire…

We did it! I’m thinking it’s just straight up polyester.

We burned a 100% cotton as well to see the difference. My daughter thought it was really neat. Now she wants to burn more of my fabric…

3 Likes