Quilt-along 2021

Nice! Now Iā€™m feeling motivated. I just needed a couple people to share their adventures I guess.

1 Like

@AIMR, I found the directions rather odd, Like the first flying goose, clear instructions and then ā€œmake anotherā€. Why couldnā€™t it have said make two at the start. Same with other blocks. Maybe it was reading the instructions on a small tablet. Iā€™ll probably never make another.

But Iā€™ve learned so much with this Quilt-along. And it is only June!

3 Likes

I also didnā€™t like the way they illustrated thoseā€¦and who in the world makes 7/8" incremental cuts? It would have been better to cut to standards and then trim down! UGH! But, I took a lot of notes and wonā€™t make the same mistakes againā€¦I also hate it when you have to sew from a tiny point instead of a larger areaā€¦I changed around the directions to prevent that as well but since the pieces have to be put together a specific way, such as color b has to be on the left of color a, it took a little figuring outā€¦and why it took me over 4 hours to make one block! lol

1 Like

I nominate Christmas Quilt for the December block
Itā€™s a paper pieced pattern, but with what we have learned this year, maybe a good one to stretch some of us.

7 Likes

I love both of those June blocks! And your scrappy heart is beautiful as always, @marionberries!
That Christmas block looks fun and I do like the idea of leaving the comfort zone behind to learn a new skill.

Today I made a pillow out of the square that @AIMR sent me in the quilt block swap! :slight_smile: I made it envelope style. I really like it, but does anyone have any tips for how to make the corners not pucker so much? The pattern I used told me to use fabric cut to the same dimensions as the pillow form, pre-seams, which seemed odd to me, and it was a bit of a squish. Should I have used bigger fabric? Either way though, I really like this pillow and will be displaying it on my couch!

13 Likes

I think it turned out really cute!

Here is what I do when using pillow forms: I put a bit of stuffing in the corners after I have put in the pillow formā€¦they will never match whatever you makeā€¦

I also love the backing fabric you used! Perfect!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s called ā€œdog earsā€ & there is a very easy fix. :slight_smile:

It is often recommended to make the cover smaller than the cushion to create a tight fit so starting with the same dimensions pre-seams sounds reasonable.

It turned out beautifully though, it looks great.

5 Likes

I really like it as well, itā€™s so fun & vibrant and very nicely done!

1 Like

I Abbeeroad submit this as my June BOM entry:

I admit I was nervous about this one given the commentary from more seasoned quilters, but once I got going, this one was really fun. I do wish they had listed out the cuts before diving into the directions, but I figured it all out. Itā€™s good exercise for my brain. :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

You hit it out of the park! I just love how creative you are with what you are using for centers on some of your blocksā€¦this is so perfectā€¦the colors even go so well with that rainbow center!

2 Likes

All the June blocks are so pretty!

I spent a bit of this afternoon working on the color block quilt. Progress is slowā€¦The Tour de Fleece is rolling along, so Iā€™ve mostly been spinning when I have any free time.

9 Likes

Thanks so much for the help! I love that I can ask just about any craft-related question on this site and chances are someone has the answer! You all are fantastic! :slight_smile:

Also, @tendstowardschaos , those colors are stunning!

3 Likes

So. Flipping. AWESOME.

1 Like

The little rainbow is perfect! And nice points too. I do like the looks of this pattern.

1 Like

She did list the cuts, on page 3.

Iā€™m surprised how much discussion this block has generated because people were frustrated with the directions. Iā€™ve made it several times and itā€™s one of my all time favourites.

I learned one thing in quilting, read through all the directions before starting, then you donā€™t miss anything and understand how it goes together.

2 Likes

Hello everyone! Iā€™m finally on the computer so I can look at my 20+ notifications for this thread and start doing the updates!

@marionberries, I really love your scrappy heart card. Itā€™s so pretty! Your BOM turned out very lovely! I havenā€™t even pulled out sewing stuff in ages! The ā€œmistake blockā€ was meant to be! So pretty! I love the playfulness of your Christmas Block nomination. Iā€™ll add it to our list once I finish going through the thread!

@aimr Wow! Your BOM is so patriotic looking! I love it!

@roler Itā€™s so fun seeing the quilt blocks you guys made in the swap turn into something else! I love your pillow!

@abbeeroad :clap:t4: You did it! My favorite part is your teeny rainbow square! So fun!

@tendstowardschaos Gah! Your quilt is just bursting with happy colors! Keep at it!

I doubt Iā€™ll get the block completed this month unless I get my butt into gear and work on it tomorrow! But, I didnā€™t get Mayā€™s done either, so eh.

@audiobookloverā€¦itā€™s almost time for our next drawing and 3rd quarter to start on this quiltalong! I guess we should pm! Goodness, time just has sneaked past me recently!

3 Likes

Ah! I completely missed that and I read through this pattern twice and consulted it frequently! I think my brain expected it first so I was blind to it at the end.

I did say it was very fun once I got going. I think itā€™s just that the directions are different than what I am used to. Itā€™s good for your brain to switch things up!

2 Likes

I did, but I am so visual I had to figure it out as I went. :rofl: Once I interpreted the pictures things moved along.

3 Likes

I agree. I relied heavily on the pictures for this one. They were very helpful!

1 Like