Quilt-along 2021

And it’s done. Too dark now for proper pix. So it’s time to tidy up and have a glass of wine. 8pm here, so I’m handing over to you ladies to quilt for the rest of the day.

11 Likes

@Magpie it actually goes on on a regular machine. I don’t do anything fancy, mostly quilt in the ditch. This quilt was easier because I used polyester batting, wool batting is more effort. This one is 70"x54", there is a small bit of wrestling, but only when you’re right in the middle.

@AudiobookLover I’d be interested in seeing those QAYG patterns too

2 Likes

I have done it but literally cursed through the entire time as I hated it so much. I don’t know how yoo manage to wrestle those quilts on your domestic stitcher and go on to want to do another one, it’s amazing! This one for Mollie turned out just lovely, I like the stripy ticking on the back and the purple binding/piping? Looks great. You certainly deserve a glass of wine for completing it so quickly and well!

1 Like

Thank you :grin: the quilting is not one of my favourite parts, so I do it fast! It’s the only way to get to the next quilt. X

1 Like

Progress…

8 Likes

These look great! I love the dark sashing that you chose to go with. It really makes each block pop!

1 Like

I craftADDchick submit this as my **January BOM **!

I attached 2 of the flying geese blocks on the wrong way and didn’t realize until the block was finished. So, I ripped out 4 seams (even though I wanted to stop, my friend convinced me to finish) and sewed them again!

Now I need to pack up the car and drive home from NH. Then, prep my lesson for tomorrow. But, I’m glad I have block #1 finished. It’s not perfect, but it’s finished!

13 Likes

I’m glad your friend convinced you to finish, it looks great! I like your choice of the yellow background, it works really well with your other fabrics. Have a safe drive home!

1 Like

Love this one! Seems like a lot of people have chosen a really interesting print as the centerpiece.

Wave hello or blow a kiss to NH for me. I haven’t been home since a family funeral in 2019!

2 Likes

It looks wonderful! Also, gave me an idea of what to do to finish up my blocks so I have a 12 inch one…

@MistressJennie just wow! I wasn’t sure on the sashing, but seeing it like this, very impressive…striking and shows off all of the fabrics!

2 Likes

I love your quilt, the dark sashing is perfect and it really frames the blocks.

@craftADDchick drive safe, I love the yellow background it’s so cheery.

2 Likes

These are the June Tailor quilt as you go quilts that my mom made. This particular pattern is called ‘savvy stripes.’

Here’s a pic of the preprinted batting -

The first step is to use a basting spray to attach your backing fabric to the back of the batting. You then take your number 1 strip and baste it to the middle of the number 1 spot, right side up. Then you line strip 2 up with the #2 line and with the strip face down against strip 1, you sew down the #2 line. Once it’s sewn down, you flip the strip so that it’s covering the #2 space. You just continue doing the same thing with each sequential strip, thereby quilting as you go.

June Tailor has a few other patterns, but this one is extra easy since it’s just strips. This finished quilt version is about 40” x 50”.

7 Likes

sort of like paper piecing only with straight strips! I make coasters and mug rugs like that…just lay out the middle and go out to both ends!

4 Likes

Yes! I was just thinking the same thing!

2 Likes

I’ve never tried paper piecing, but if it’s similar to this, then it sounds like it wouldn’t be too hard.

Now that I think of it, every time @Edel has described using paper piecing for a block, I do always think of these quilts…

2 Likes

I am planning a bandana quilt-as-you-go rag quilt, or quilts, for picnic blankets for birthday gifts this year.

I am buying bandanas, and I will use plain Kona cotton on the backside, with a few gingham-and-ant fabrics added to the mix. My sister’s birthday is in 2 weeks so I will have to get going soon!

2 Likes

I MistressJennie , offer Quarter Circles Lap Quilt Top for January’s WIP prompt
Note: I made a mistake and initially listed this as my challenge entry for January. I confused the challenges and prompts when I submitted this, and only submitted it because I thought I had to, before January ended. But it was a WIP, and it did get done in January, so I’ll submit it as that.

12 Likes

That’s SMALL?! :open_mouth:

It’s SO beautiful. Something about the shapes and color combinations reminds me strongly of Japan. Seriously, I am in love with this quilt.

2 Likes

That is so gorgeous. I love that block and those colours. Did you say you received all of those blocks from fellow swappers? Amazing how well they go together.

1 Like