Quilt-along 2021

I marionberries submit this as my Dec BOM entry.

Fun block with the paper piecing, though I only did the fancy blocks on the sides with paper piecing. I wouldn’t want to create a full-size quilt with this method! @MistressJennie is right, traditional quilting techniques would work just as well. But it was fun trying this method. It’s a beautiful block. Staying in my overall color scheme has been a challenge, but I’ve made it work. This is so Starry Nightish.

10 Likes

I like your blue and yellow combo. It’s so cheery!

1 Like

Ooooh, it is totally Starry Nightish! I love your fabric choices!

1 Like

@marionberries Yes, absolutely Starry Night-ish! Beautiful!

I’ve made progress on my table runner, the top is done now. It’s a pretty quick item to make, I think this took me 2 hours and I’m not a fast sewist.

7 Likes

It totally is starry nightish!

1 Like

I keep reminding myself that perfect is the enemy of completion. And that the makers sees all the mistakes, that others don’t see.

I finished this for my sister, it was a kind of an obligation quilt rather than being made truly from the heart (I’m sure you know the difference). Plus I was struggling with having thrown my back out Vs getting it done for Christmas. So the corners are seriously wonky. But it turned out pretty nice despite all that. And she is a maker, so she will appreciate the work that has gone into it.

I made it from 5" squares that @madebyBeaG kindly gave me, my sister’s favourite colours are bless and reds, there is a pure wool blanket for wadding and so the heft is really nice. Large lap quilt size, straight line quilting, no real pattern, just pieced in strips, with plenty of white in between rows (very forgiving of misalignment and very fast to piece)

13 Likes

I’m so glad to see you were able to use my leftover cotton fabric squares!
The quilt turned out beautiful!
I’m sure your sister will love it very much.

1 Like

Thank you so much for them, they allowed me to get this done in plenty of time for Christmas, and there are some really pretty fabrics in there. I’ve largely exhausted the blues and reds, but there is definitely another quilts worth left. (And thank you for your lovely new year’s card, which arrived today hugs)

2 Likes

So bright and cheery. I like the pattern in the white, keeps the movement going. Fun quilt!

2 Likes

I finally finished my wall quilt top!

Then I pinned a bunch of small quilt sandwiches; the wall quilt, 4 placemats, and one mug rug.

I’m working my way through them this afternoon, with Pride & Prejudice to keep me company. Two down, four to go…

15 Likes

@MistressJennie

I’m dreaming of a warm and colorful Christmas,
with every quilting project I finish
Where the needles sparkle
and thread never tangles
and tea steams by my side.
(tinkling bells)…

choir last night after our recording session broke into a beautiful spontaneous rendition of I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas, with harmonies and all. What fun.

5 Likes

That’s my favorite Christmas movie. :heart: Despite the weird inconsistencies (like during a ‘rehearsal’, when you can see a full audience when the lights are down, but when they come back up, the audience is empty), and the awkward and semi-racist minstrel show number… Still my favorite Christmas movie. I went to see the stage version of it with @sheepBlue a few years ago, when she was visiting Nashville. At the end of the show, when the characters in the movie would have asked the soldiers staying at the inn to sing to the General, they brought up the house lights and had all of us in the audience sing with them. It was really lovely.

2 Likes

You are really getting through them! I love the super christmassy colours

1 Like

Woot! All 6 pieces have been quilted! Even though it was raining, which the pup didn’t like at all, and even though my mom called again. They worked up pretty fast. I think it was that each one was only a finite size. I wasn’t trying to wrestle an entire lap quilt through the machine. I’ll trim the edges and start binding them all tomorrow.

6 Likes

-I marionberries, offer Oskar’s Ornament for Dec’s prompt

I did Felix for October, and Oskar was a bit jealous so I promised him December. He’s happy now.

13 Likes

Nice!

I treated myself today. About a year ago I first found out that a local quiltshop was offering a quilting course - one box every quarter, for two years, each one including some lessons in a nice binder and a kit to make a mini quilt using those new techniques. I have heard good things about it. It took me about a year to decide but I signed up! Not sure why I didn’t do it a year ago since the price is reasonable and I’ve been wanting to learn new techniques. A little Christmas present for myself, and receiving the first box next week will be a nice thing to look forward to in a boring third lockdown.

9 Likes

Oooh that sounds really nice… Have you a link to it?

2 Likes

I do, but it is in Dutch so I’m not sure if it’s of much use - Quiltzusjes Boxen bestellen - Quiltshop Vlijtig Liesje. The authors both own quiltshops in NL, they call themselves the quilting sisters.

2 Likes

That sounds like fun. What a great gift to yourself!

1 Like

I received the first two boxes (to save on shipping) but I’ve only opened the first box so far.

The first impression was already really good, they’ve paid great attention to detail. It’s wrapped in blue tissue paper like a proper gift and with the first box you get a custom designed binder.

The first box is about hand sewing since that’s how it all started. You get maybe two dozen pages with tons of pictures that explain all the techniques. Then for the kit, they have based it on an antique quilt in their collection and it’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time (6 pointed star). I even already have the paper pieces. They give you a bunch of fabrics in a kit to choose from but completely let you do your own thing. There are no suggested colour combinations etc. They’ve picked a pattern and fabrics and after that it’s up to your own creativity. They say the fabrics they provide should be enough for a 50x50cm project but I think you can easily get more out of it. Plus if you want to make it bigger you can do just raid your own stash.

It’s all easy enough for someone who is pretty new to quilting, but it’s interesting for someone who is more experienced, too. A lot of experienced quilters have never done EPP. I’ve done quite a lot of it actually, but I’m still excited about starting this project in the new year.

This is the antique quilt, it’s American and from the 20s/30s.

This is the kit, whites are on the other side.

11 Likes