Quilt-along 2021

I use acrylic yarn when I tie quilts and have never had a problem. I have one my mom made me 30+ years ago, it’s been loved and washed lots and not one piece of yarn has broken or come untied.

4 Likes

Wow!! That is sumptuous.

1 Like

lol way beyond my lifetime…but I like how they used just part of the plate…sort of breaks it up and blends it with colors you might like more!

2 Likes

@roler I really like your mini quilt and I’m not saying that to be nice, I mean it! I like that the blocks are dancing a bit. My blocks dance sometimes as well. I love scrappy projects.

@Camelama I think I’d do something more ‘modern’ with those blocks as well, but I love that they are all from scraps. And it looks like they are hand sewn?!

2 Likes

That. Is. Stunning. Totally the type of quilt I’d love to learn to make!! My aesthetic 100% XD

2 Likes

This describes me to a T! Let’s battle our fears together and make some beautiful wonky quilts! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you so much! To be honest, I often really like the look of wonky/scrappy quilts myself, but since I was ostensibly trying to be all neat and lined up, I felt really critical of my own. Looking at it so many months later, I like it a lot more! Now I just need to FIND the darn WIP…

And also reply to multiple people in one post instead of a series! Sorry for clogging up the feed!

5 Likes

Ya @roler is joining us. I make a lot of quilts and there are always many seams that don’t line up correctly. I’ve learned to ignore it, trying to be perfect is the enemy of getting it done.

As @Lynx described, use a strip of fabric (not on the bias) for the binding. I am too impatient to hand sew the final edge down. I always machine sew, and while I try for proper corners, I usually get roundy corners-but I promise you, only you’ll see your mistakes. Here’s a detailed tutorial https://www.farmandfolk.com/blog/2019/11/13/quilt-binding-tutorial?format=amp

Or as @AIMR said, skip the separate binding strip, make the backing a couple of inches larger on all sides and fold the backing over the edges, to the front and sew down (turning under the raw edge)

7 Likes

Oooh, thank you; that tutorial looks super helpful! :slight_smile:

I 100% did this for the couch caddy I made for a personal swap. It worked great!

5 Likes

I call it my cheaty binding…I use it on all small projects like mugrugs, etc. I thought your couch cozy was wonderfully done!

5 Likes

@roler - If you scroll up to the beginning, you will see my totally crooked-on-purpose crazy blocks. I have so many ideas but thought I’d try this first to get my quilting brain back in working order. And I will solicit help when I get to the binding part. I think there are a few quilting parents in the school. And quilting? Who knows.

5 Likes

Oh oh oh oh oh. I think I found the spark of an idea for the box of dresden bits … i love cats, the gal who gave me the bits loves cats, i could donate the finished quilt to the rescue where I got my kitties, for their yearly fundraiser… I am going to fiddle about with something like this and see what I can make!

21 Likes

I love this idea!

1 Like

Cuuuuuute!

@JoyfulClover your sofa caddy is really and the binding looks fab

@Camelama that’s a great idea of the Dresden plates. Or you could do corner plates, so the quilt looks like fans

2 Likes

I love that cat pattern! Yes, those would be really cute in that pattern…how fun!

1 Like

Squee !!! Yes! The cats! The fans! I say so much yes!

I like the cats have differently canted heads. It makes them look incredibly realistic.

Also, thanks @Edel and @AIMR! That project sparked me deciding to finally go for it this year. We’ll see!

4 Likes

Awesome idea for the dresden pieces!

1 Like

Purrrrfict. The dresden bits you have are nice and textured so this would be an awesome cat quilt.

4 Likes