Quilt-along 2021

Do you have a particular pattern in mind? We can add the block and pattern link to the first post! As nominations come in, we can keep adding them until we have 12 blocks!

I do, indeed! The sawtooth star quilt block pattern here is well explained and comes with a handy sizing chart!

1 Like

Okay! Let’s start off the new year with a pretty sawtooth star!

Friends:
Feel free to nominate blocks! You can choose a block and the month you want to make it if you’d like! Please link the pattern when you do and I’ll update the first post.

Remember, choose the block you like. We can add sashing when we piece our quilt to adjust sizing as needed!

2 Likes

I like that the pattern lets you pick what size you want your blocks! I will probably do 12x12 as many of my random quilt blocks are that size…

3 Likes

I think a 1212 is a good general size, because with 34 blocks it’ll be a decent size.

I’ll nominate a block, once I do some research.

And happy New year my lovelies, it’s already 2021 here, this year will hopefully be better for us all

5 Likes

Happy New Years @edel! It’s still 2020 for 4 hours and change here for me.

I can’t wait to see what block you decide on!

4 Likes

I finished the top of the crib quilt, I modified a block that I found online. The elephants are a lino cut I made and printed onto fabric that I’ve previously dyed. The other fabrics are a subtle nod to the fact that this baby girl will be born and likely raised in Australia, she has Irish roots, hence the green and orange, but I also wanted to do something a little different than the standard pink.

I’ve also included pink squares, that is from tablecloths I dyed for my wedding to this baby’s grandfather, a year ago. The baby isn’t due until may, but a friend said to me the other day, that one day, I’ll wake up and be in bed with a grandad :joy:

I’m happy with how it turned out, just need to figure a colour for the binding, (suggestions??) I’ve a strip of elephants to go into the back, and I think I’ll use more of the pink fabric to back it.

15 Likes

That is so personal and special. The lino cut printed fabric really adds that extra special piece. I’m sure it will be treasured.

2 Likes

Thanks sweetie, I hope you’re right!

And in answer to your question about what block in going to nominate for our block a month. I’m working on this. What do you think? More love and hearts are always better in my world.

I’m figuring out how to make it and a pattern, if people want to try this, I’ll do it for a 12" block

9 Likes

Wow, that’s lovely.

I finished 8 blocks.

And my favorite tool? The rotating cutting mat. So handy for cutting strips and squares.

10 Likes

I love that you are creating your own block! It’s wonderful!

@Smmarrt I love how your blocks are turning out!

1 Like

So pretty and fun, I like the colors and the way the blocks give movement to the quilt.

1 Like

I have two lap quilts to get started on, our old ones are rather threadbare. So a block a month will be a good way to get them done by next winter! :grinning:

And I have all the fabric I will ever need for the blocks. Now to decide what sizes to make the blocks. Then I am good to go.

2 Likes

I may well be reinventing the wheel, someone may have already designed this one. But it’s an interesting process figuring out the dimensions and the order. I’ll do a test when I’ve done and of it works I’ll create a tutorial.

@Smmarrt I love those blocks, they remind me of cobwebs. What size is your rotating cutting mat? I saw one for sale before Christmas, but I didn’t buy it. (Shops won’t be open for at least another 4 weeks so I’ve plenty of time to decide!)

3 Likes

Your quilts are quite unique and the fabrics are scrappy and fun, @Edel! I have loads and loads of old sheets that I was going to just toss out, but now I see some possibilities for dyeing and stenciling!

I also like that heart block…there are probably heart blocks out there, but they are all so different, so keep at it! I have a nice stack of single blocks that someday will become an interesting quilt or perhaps tote bags!

2 Likes

It’s about 9” x 9”, but I should’ve gotten a larger one.

1 Like

Ooh don’t throw them away if they’re 100% cotton. Go to dharma trading, they have an awesome colour range of fibre reactive dyes, and dyeing is such fun!!! I do some tye dyeing, but mostly I do scrunch dyeing to give really nice cloudy effects.

And you can get awesome prints with commercial stamps and potatoes. Check out this

9 Likes

I’ve only made one quilt (& some paper pieced coasters), but here are some links I found helpful:

~

This year I want to practice my quilting & make a quilted pillow cover (using this bear). I printed out the pattern last year, but never got around to making it.

5 Likes

I love just get it done quilts, she’s my favourite YouTube quilter

5 Likes

She is awesome- she makes quilting so approachable!

And, I’m loving the baby quilt! Do you have a yellow fabric for the binding? Or a green? Or, even orange would be fun.

2 Likes