Quilt-along 2021

It is very pretty and would make a lovely Valentine cushion cover!

3 Likes

I think it is perfect.

1 Like

The block is made up of half square triangles using an 8 at a time HST method. The triangles are then arranged in that particular pattern. This is the 8 HST at a time method along with a handy sizing chart (the block in the video is done with the 4" finished HST info).

@Edel, I like that block!

2 Likes

Cool. Iā€™d like to link to a paper pattern or step by step non-video, but can definitely post video link too ( the top post for our BOM. I canā€™t really watch videos too much due to our dumb data cap.

In 2018 I purchased this one and only Row by Row experience block which I then never did anything with it, so today:

I obviously have work to do with seams and piecing, but that comes with time and practice! This will be a good promt/challenge entry for me. Speaking of which, I will come up with an ā€œentry prompt toā€ "fill out.

5 Likes

The metric/imperial thing is a permanent challenge! I draft my own sewing patterns using the metric system so I have a few dressmakerā€™s rulers in that size. My small A4 cutting mat (for cutting cardstock) is in metric too. But youā€™re right that most quilting patterns are in imperial measurements and so are most tools Iā€™ve seen in shops. The seam allowance guide on my machine is in cm as well so a 1/4 inch foot is on my shopping list too.

2 Likes

Do you have a particular pattern in mind? Are you planning on sourcing your own fabrics or buying a kit? Tula Pink fabrics and Hawaiian prints would both work well for collage quilts. Iā€™m really looking forward to hearing and seeing more about your quilt if you get to it this year!

Iā€™ve seen a lot of Laura Heine collage patterns/quilts at various quilt shows Iā€™ve attended and have always been super impressed by her work. There was one quilt in particular that I fell in love with nearly a year ago. It became my first purchase of 2021! Itā€™ll be my first collage quilt and Iā€™m looking forward to working on it!

As for current projects, Iā€™m participating in the Morewood Mystery Quilt-along. It runs from July 2020 to April 2021 (thereā€™s supposed to be another mystery quilt-along next year as well, so Iā€™ll post that information for anyone who is interested once it becomes available). So far weā€™ve chosen our fabric, cut the fabric, and have made these units. This month weā€™ll start putting the units together to create blocks. Iā€™m curious what the final quilt will look like! Iā€™m currently all caught up, which is nice! These are all my completed blocks along with some additional background fabric.

6 Likes

I was thinking about those color quilts where you record the temperature each day and give a color to a temperature range and create a quilt. Has anyone made one of those? That would be fun, too.

1 Like

I see what you mean now that I had a chance to look more closely at the video for a few minutes.

Yes, keep us posted if there is another Moorewood Mystery Quilt alongā€¦that sounds fun!

1 Like

I also have seen those temperature quiltsā€¦problem is that where I live, the temperatures are quite consistent so my quilt would pretty much be the same color for several months! lol

3 Likes

Same. I am using one of my very first quilts and it shows, in quality and raggedy-ness! I just replaced binding on one side and then I realized that I REALLY need to start and finish something for myself. 2 or 3 blocks a day seems pretty ambitious, good luck! I havenā€™t yet cut out all the pieces for my log cabin.

3 Likes

Hi Heidi! So glad you found our quiltalong community! Ya know, starting and finishing something for yourself is Januaryā€™s prompt, which gives you a ticket into our quarterly giveawayā€¦win win for you! Do you have ideas on what you are wanting to make? I saw you mention a log cabinā€¦a whole quilt?

2 Likes

Hey all, hereā€™s a great website with lots of quilt block patterns if youā€™d like to look and nominate one.

I had a quick look, and Iā€™d like to nominate:

This one looks really fun!

3 Likes

What a great resource! The card trick block looks fun and colorful, great choice!

1 Like

I like it a lot! And, the way the colors play across it really looks like velvet in the photo. :slight_smile:

@Cindy had that as one of her blocks at the dead place! It is really a fun block to make!

1 Like

Really?? Well, it is meant to be then!

1 Like

I know I still havenā€™t unpacked my redweld file of all the quilt blocks we didā€¦Cindy and I have been exchanging blocks for years! I have about 30 different star patterns because @kbrison always wanted star blocks in blue and yellow! lol

I think you and @AudiobookLover have started a wonderful craftalongā€¦

4 Likes

My DH got me gift cards for a couple local fabric shops for Christmas, so I went shopping today for quilting fabric. :smile: When I got home, he asked if I spent all my Christmas money on stuff for other people. Well, yeah. Then, he tells me that when he got the gift cards, he told one of the ladies at the fabric store that I would do that. :joy: :joy: :joy:

7 Likes

It sounds like he knows you pretty darn well :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

4 Likes

Paper Piecing Tutorial

Hey guysā€¦I learned how to paper piece using this tutorialā€¦I have a small ā€œkitā€ of a postcard, an add a quarter ruler, and FLAT pins to use for thisā€¦the key also is to press after every seam, so I got myself one of those little Clover flat irons as wellā€¦

2 Likes