Quilt-along 2021

I MistressJennie offer Mug Rugs & Potholder for my small challenge entry!

While going through my scrap fabric bin looking for more black to make 12" blocks, I found a few unfinished bits and bobs. First was a butterfly potholder I had made as practice when learning to free motion quilt many years ago. The layers of batting & insul-brite had all been quilted, but it was never trimmed down or bound. Next I found leftover bits from making some scrappy Tim Holtz fabric placemats a couple years ago. There were random off-cuts of the patchwork. So I added a black band like the original placemats have, and tested out my new walking foot and line guide, quilting them together. Then today I finally cut some black binding and finished off both of these years-old projects!

11 Likes

Just for fun, hereā€™s a picture of one of the original placemats with the new mug rugs.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s inspiring, Jennieā€¦turning old projects into new ones! And, kudos for finished! I know I have at least 32 of thoseā€¦

1 Like

Wooo! They are really cool!

1 Like

I, AIMR, submit this as my March BOM Entry. It just happens to be greenā€¦lol

I switched color palettes since I am making a small baby quilt with the blocks I have already done. Hope to post it by this weekend so I can send it off before the baby is a teenagerā€¦

11 Likes

I love how you alternated the colors and the oranges in the green fabric really pop well with the main orange color.

1 Like

Ooh, that sounds like a fun project! Iā€™m looking forward to seeing your baby quilt! Your March BOM reminds me of leprechauns (I cant believe I donā€™t have a lucky leprechaun emoji :disappointed:) :blush:.

What a nice accomplishment, @MistressJennie! I love that your placemats now have coordinating mug rugs!

I received a shipment of fabric yesterday and got a chance to open it up today! 6 panels and some coordinating fabric (at least for 4 of the panels) has me itching to start on a new project. But, I plan on finishing my mystery quilt (Iā€™m so close!) before I start on anything new. So instead, I will share a pic of one of the panels I ordered and be content with gazing upon it for the time being :blush:.

3 Likes

Well, I stole @MistressJennieā€™s idea!

A little secretā€¦see where the points meet in the middle? Well, it just so happened that there was an orange flower in the green fabric so it looked like I had a gap or mistake there! I used a red sharpie to make it redā€¦ :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Iā€™ve done similar with felt markers :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been working on DS2ā€™s color wash quilt. Iā€™m using the enders and leaders hack to simultaneously get a few squares sewn for my economy faux-eider-down quilt.

7 Likes

Question

I think I might tackle sewing some of these squares together today. Do Iā€¦

A. Sew them in strips/rows and then sew the rows together?

B. Sew blocks of 16 together and then sew the blocks together?

Does either method increase my chance of matching things up? Lol. Iā€™ve been very diligent on squaring them all up but didnā€™t know if the order had any effect.

8 Likes

wowā€¦great job!

I am a sew each row and then sew the rows together personā€¦I do that because I am fussy about how to press the darn thing so everything nests togetherā€¦I can press all the squares to one side and then do the opposite in the next rowā€¦when I put the rows together, they lock inā€¦

3 Likes

Do you plan on this being the finished size? Or are you planning on making more HSTā€™s and adding to it?

Personally, Iā€™d go with blocks. If some of you future HSTs are of different fabrics, you can move blocks around to get a good color/fabric distribution, without one end of the quilt looking like it doesnā€™t belong with the other end. You can also lay blocks flat, whereas if you sew up rows, you might need to fold that long row to leave it somewhere until you make more. But honestly, Iā€™d say go with whatever you are most comfortable wrestling with. If you are like Linda and worry about your rows accidentally not nesting, and want to focus on that, go with that. If youā€™re like me and worry about color distribution, you may choose differently.

Either way, they are looking fantastic!

3 Likes

Good tips! I use numbered pins so that I know ahead of time what rows to sew togetherā€¦I think you are right, though, if there are plans to make more it is a lot easier to work with blocksā€¦

No matter what, I think it will turn out nicelyā€¦it is a nice monochromatic scheme and the layout as it is looks good to me!

3 Likes

This is looking beautiful! I work like @AIMR and create rows that I then sew together. I do find that well nested seams help everything match up nicely!

3 Likes

@AIMR @MistressJennie @AudiobookLover

Thanks for the input! I have a couple more rows that I already pre-laid out that arenā€™t pictured just because they wouldnā€™t fit on my table so I donā€™t have to worry much about color and moving things around. It is a good thought to think about having to wrestle long rows while I sew. I think Iā€™m going to go with rows. And if the first couple rows donā€™t go well I can always switch to blocks I suppose. Thanks for the help!! I just didnā€™t know if one way was better than the other for matching things up.

3 Likes

Like Jennie said, you have to try it to see what works for youā€¦sometimes I donā€™t want to deal with sewing long rows together (they go crooked!)ā€¦and it is easier to sew a shorter block to another block, etc. Try a few methods and nothing is set in cementā€¦you can mix and match methods and still make them all work!

Have funā€¦it is a lovely color (one of my favorites!)ā€¦

Numbered pins! How did I not know that this was a thing?!

1 Like

Numbered pins are the bomb!

I have all sorts! Iā€™ll send you a couple packs, if youā€™d like! lol

how to use numbered pins-last picture

2 Likes

I did not know numbered pins existed either, OMG, what a revelation!