Redwood Forest

This was inspired by the November stitchalong theme, Into the Woods. It features plants and animals of the redwood forest

California Grizzly (sadly extinct), with Golden Trout

The water and plants are paint-dyed silk and cotton ribbons.

Fern fronds and Banana Slug. The first time I saw one, I thought someone had dropped a banana peel; they’re huge!

Redwood bark and sorrel

I got about 30 reels of silk ribbon for $3 a while ago. The colors are mostly putrid pink and pallid blue, so I’ve been experimenting with color. Watered down craft paint dyes them well, and they stay soft and useable.

And I’ve been having trouble figuring out how to finish my embroidery pieces (the merskelly is still waiting), so I made the frames first for this. I created leaf-shaped embroidery hoops in Tinkercad, printed on my 3D printer, then designed the embroidery to fit inside.

32 Likes

Leaf-shaped embroidery hoops?!?! Cool! And the embroidery is fabulous, too.

2 Likes

That’s so unique and lovely!

1 Like

Very cool! I was wondering where you got the hoops - you made them! Awesome!!

1 Like

These are gorgeous and the hoops are stunning. I bet you could sell them!

1 Like

That’s lovely! The frames are great, and I would not have guessed that the silk was re-colored. :grin:

1 Like

Beautiful work

1 Like

Thanks for the praise! It makes my day.

The hoops are kind of flimsy and don’t clamp together tightly. I’d have to refine the design if they were to be really usable (or sellable)–that is doable. They’re basically just serving as frame and support here. And looking good!

3 Likes

Seriously! As if the stitch work wasn’t fabulous enough! I am ultra impressed that you made these frames yourself! I’m itching to stitch a giant leaf in one of them!

1 Like
  1. They texture, colors, and details of your embroidery is to die for gorgeous!
  2. I never thought of 3-D printing an embroidery hoop! My work bestie just bought his own 3-D printer. I wonder if he would make me a few leaf hoops. They really make your art extra special. :heart:
1 Like

I need to fix the hoop design, then I’ll put them on thingiverse, which already has round, oval, and oblong hoops.

2 Likes

The hoops are now available on Thingiverse at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4660308/files

offer to pay for the filament!

3 Likes

So very unique! If I had access to a 3D printer I think I’d have to have a few of those hoops. I love the silk. So cool that you were able to paint it like that. I wouldn’t have thought of that.

1 Like

This piece is stunning. I love that you made custom hoops/frames for them. There’s no stopping you!

1 Like

This is SO. COOL.

1 Like

This is such a clever piece! The display is wonderful.

1 Like

This is amazing! I love the frames, the theme, and the stitching and the texture and muted earthy colors!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for all the kind words!

This is amazing! I love all the detail–it’s hard to believe that’s all “painted” with yarn/fibers/ribbon. Really well done.

1 Like

Congrats! Your Redwood Forest embroidery is a featured project for this week!

2 Likes