Replacement Pouch for Water Purifying Pump EDIT: More Detail/photo

WaterPumpBag01

After last weekend’s overnight backpacking trip, TheMisterT asked if I could either repair or replace the pouch that holds his water purifying pump which had a broken zipper. In the interest in keeping things small and lightweight, it was a pretty tight fit and required a pretty specific packing strategy - something that TheMisterT just couldn’t cotton to. :wink:

WaterPumpBag00

Therefore, repairing or replacing the zipper in the existing bag seemed like a temporary fix. All he asked was that the fabric be something that would repel water and/or dry quickly. Luckily, I had this nylon in my stash! Why? I dunno! Looks like something I picked up from the remnants bin, probably thinking it could be put to use for dog projects.

WaterPumpBag02

I used my heated stencil cutter to cut the label off the old one to make a patch. I also harvested the loop from the original - in case he wanted to hang it on the outside of his back or whatever it is that backpackers do that required it on there in the first place! :crazy_face:

WaterPumpBag03

I noticed that the tyvek tag inside the original had directions and trouble-shooting information, so I took it out and added it into the new one.

I had the cord and the spring-loaded locking slider thinging in my stash, too. I always harvest those kinds of things off worn out stuff! :grimacing:

I used my stencil cutter to cut the new fabric, too. I was told that method years ago by a fabric store employee and man is it a nice trick for these kinds of super-fraying, non-natural fabrics! I just set a silicone baking mat under it. In the past I have used a glass cutting board, too. All the seams are sewn double and all the edges “cauterized.” Hopefully, this will last the life of the pump.

11 Likes

I laughed because I also have odd bits of fabric that I reclaimed for “just in case”…hey, it has saved me several dollars and shopping trips, but less landfill crap!

I love your saves…I am sure it is a subtle sentimental thing for your guy…anyway, nice job!!! I think it is better than the original…easier to spot in a crowded backpack as well!

This is awesome! So smart to save this stuff.

Awesome replacement! I seriously thought the one you made was showing us what it should look like.

1 Like

Thanks, friends! I’m pretty tickled with how polished the end product turned out!

I have gotten so much use out of buckles and such that I harvest off of stuff that’s useful life has ended.

1 Like

I love that you had possibly originally grabbed the fabric for dog stuff. :wink: This is great - and I agree with your husband on those ruthless no-wiggle-room re-packing issues!

2 Likes

Thank you!

That’s why I chose the green from stash and not the deep, dark blue. :grinning:

Great save!

The replacement is better than the original! I love how you were able to salvage parts from the old bag to make it look so pro!

And, what a brilliant idea to cut the fabric with a heated stencil cutter. I have some nylon to make shopping totes with, and I know it’ll fray like crazy, so I am going to be adding a stencil cutter to my shopping list. Thanks for that tip!

1 Like

Lol, his “fix” had me laughing to where my husband said “What are you laughing about?”
I bet that your version will last longer than the original. Handmade stuff has that care and attention that mass-produced does not. And I concur with everyone else: you can actually see it since it contrasts! He’s one lucky guy to have you!

Thanks, pals!

If you have a wood burning tool, it would probably work. Not as fine of a “cut” maybe and I’m not sure if the tip would be good for wood after that. Make sure you have good ventilation! :crazy_face:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I ordered one, because I know I can use it for other things. Thanks for the tip about ventilation!

1 Like

They are really handy to have around! I have used mine for stencil cutting, of course, but also for burning details into styrofoam headstones for my Halloween boneyard.

1 Like