Rice heating pads and ice packs

I made some rice heating pads and ice packs today. The first two I made as heat pads and are also long enough to wrap around your neck. The last two as ice packs that are more wrist or ankle size. All 4 we’re made from random left over fabrics.

17 Likes

Bookmarking this! I need to make some myself. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yay for de-stashing!
Great work!

What did you use as a filling for the ice packs? Just curious…

Thanks for sharing!!

1 Like

Great idea! These look really good. What’s the best rice to use for filling?

1 Like

These are great!

2 Likes

I love these things. One of the first thing I ever made. They are so useful. I love that you stash busted for this.

2 Likes

I also used rice for the ice packs too. When I was searching every where said the neck wraps could be frozen for cold too, but I wanted something smaller.

2 Likes

I like to use Jasmin but only because it is more fragrant but have used regular long grain white rice as well and they seem to work the same heat and preformance wise. I would avoid brown though rice just because it goes rancid so fast.

2 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Love these! The patchwork makes them so charming and I can imagine using them, even the icy ones, could come to feel comforting like using a favorite old quilt.

And I am reminded that I made a similar thing in the Dark Time Between Homes that I could post.

2 Likes

Pretty and so useful for aches and pains!

1 Like

How do they work as ice packs? is it still the same as the heating pads?

I also love that you were able to use leftover fabric :smiley: great job

1 Like

This the first time I had made to use as ice packs, and we haven’t had a chance to use them yet as ice pack. We’ve just been “storing” them in the freezer so I pulled one out today to see and it definitely felt like ice and still seemed cold enough to use after 30mins or so. Which is about the same time I’d want to reheat them, so it seems they might stay cold a little longer.

We sell some where I work that have both heating and freezing instructions, but they are flax, but Google gave me hits for rice ones as well so I gave them a try.

1 Like

These are such handy things to have, good job!

1 Like