Rose leather bag

I love thrifting and antique markets.
In the past i bought this handbag. The handle was ripping i “fixed” it with pleather. Not really a good sight.
After painting a couple of shoes, and decluttering, I put 2 and 2 together and thought I could paint this bag and replace the handle with a chain.

I first remove the handle.
Then I cleaned the purse first with a mixture of vinegar and water, and then the area for the flowers with the Angelus cleaner.

Because it’s a black purse I first did a layer of white where I wanted the flowers to be.
After drying, I did a pink base and added more after that was dry as well

I didn’t like the left rose… so I remove it again the Angelus product. And I added leaves. Here you can really see the surface. Scratched and a bit yucky, even after cleaning.

Then I redid tthe outside of the rose because it was too much of a mish mash. And I added shoe leather black product to give it back more shine and colour, and this is the finished product. ( note to self: next time do this before painting)

I still need to find a chain though.

27 Likes

It’s really lovely! I love those Angelus paints!

2 Likes

What!?!? That’s so nice! So impressed🌹

2 Likes

That’s gorgeous!!

2 Likes

How beautiful

2 Likes

Gorgeous transformation!

Amazon has nice, inexpensive purse chains. (I’ve had to replace a couple, myself.)

4 Likes

Wow! What an upgrade!

3 Likes

I have used a dog chain from a discount store as a purse handle.

3 Likes

I’ll look into it!
Or perhaps I’ll ask if someone has a dog chain they don’t use anymore.
I just don’t know if I should add a gold chain or a silver one. My mind says gold, but my heart doesn’t like gold haha :smiley:

Thank you everyone! I felt a bit uncertain about the rose, but I’m glad you all like it!

3 Likes

Wow! How pretty :heart_eyes: thank you for sharing the progress pics!

2 Likes

It’s absolutely gorgeous! I can’t imagine just freehanding something this beautiful.

It looks like the hardware is gold, so a gold chain would be the “sensible” choice, and it would look nice, but I totally think silver would look great too. Or pink!

2 Likes

Match the existing hardware. It will look better later.
Your painting is so pretty. You really saved this bag. It’s a stunner now.

4 Likes

Well, would you just take a look at that! :star_struck: This crafted-up awesomeness is a Featured Project this week. CONGRATS! :confetti_ball:

2 Likes

The painting is beautiful, really lovely. I agree that the chain would look nice in gold to match the other hardware.
That scratched up surface? Distressed. It’s popular and sought after!

2 Likes

Wow, what a fabulous revamp!! Yay for bringing new life to old things!!

1 Like

Wow! Thank you!!

I guess gold is indeed the sensible choice!
Thank you!

1 Like

You did a wonderful job!

1 Like