ROUND 3: Craftalongs Challenge - Lettuce Help Our Communities CLOSED

My favorite method for avoiding this is to make adjustable ties using t-shirt yarn and a pony bead.

Pretty Handy Girl talks about this method in her pattern.

2 Likes

Thanks, @roler and @Abbeeroad! Both of those are good options. I like the cord I use for a tie, but sometimes it slips so it seems like t-shirt yarn might ā€œgripā€ better, and the pony bead idea is brilliant!. I can give people a choice, now.

1 Like

I just got feedback the the ones with ties were way more popular than the ones with fixed elastic. Adjustability is the key. But I had decided on the basic pleated rectangle with fixed elastic loops due to limited availability of elastic or any other type of tie material (at the time), because they used the least amount of elastic. I could stretch the number of masks I made with my available materials. Iā€™m on hold right now because I am rearranging the craft room and the sewing machine is behind 2 - 3 feet of crafting supplies. Itā€™s a slow processā€¦unload a set of shelvesā€¦move the set of shelvesā€¦sort, reduce, and reload a set of shelves so I can move the next one. 3 large 3ā€™ wide by 7ā€™ tall shelving units and one smaller unit. Two are moved. And when we initially installed them we did way to good of a job anchoring the dang things to each other and the wall. Sheesh. Undoing your own good work is hard.

2 Likes

Sounds like it will be awesome when itā€™s done, though!

Iā€™ve been on hold, too, but just because I needed a break. I did make some for my MIL and FIL, but forgot to take pics. :roll_eyes: Now I have a request list, so will be back at it soon enough.

2 Likes

@marionberries, thatā€™s good feedback! Thanks!

And, good luck on the craft room reorganization. I have a similar task on tap for the summer, but, fortunately, I donā€™t have to move any well-intsalled shelving!

Iā€™ve been making masks! I guess I will jump in! :slight_smile:

Title: 6/4/20
Masks for: My SILā€™s friend and daughter
Pattern Link to Share: none (womenā€™s is an 8x8 square, with pipecleaner at the top and 3 pleats. childā€™s is 5x7 with pipecleaner at the top and 2 pleats)
8 masks in total in that batch

Title: 6/19/20
Masks for: My husband who travels for work a lot, my sister, my friendā€™s husband and extras for whoever needed them. 16 masks in total in that batch
Pattern Link to Share: (Menā€™s size is a 9x9 square with pipecleaner at the top and 3 pleats. I use tshirt or any stretch material that doesnā€™t fray for the ear loops. they are so soft and comfortable)

Title: 6/23/20
Masks for: Friends and family. 42 masks in total in that batch
Pattern Link to Share:

Title: 6/29/20
Masks for: Friends and family. 37 masks in total in that batch.
Pattern Link to Share:

Title: 6/30/20
Masks for: My SIL and a friend. 4 masks in total
Pattern Link to Share:

Can you believe Iā€™m working on more this week? I decided that smaller batches are less demanding on me, so Iā€™m going to do a few a day. Iā€™m snipping threads and I will have some more done.

4 Likes

These are wonderful! I love the fabric with the little circular animal faces!!

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™ve really been destashing! I have hardly bought any fabric. So its been nice to use up some stuff that had just been sitting around.

1 Like

Title: Back to School
Masks for: Friend who is a teacher and her kids
Pattern Link: magpieā€™s easiest mask

With schools getting ready to open this fall, I have been getting requests from teachers and parents for masks.

Here are some kids ones I madeā€¦colorful and cheery.

And for teacher and her hubby:

I purchased these metal nose strips online and they have made a huge difference in fit and ease of makingā€¦plus, if a person doesnā€™t like them, they can easily be removed with a few snips!

3 Likes

I really like the nose strips! I have been having trouble with my glasses steaming up, and Iā€™m betting the nose strips would help. Can you share where you got them? You can message me if you donā€™t want to post it here :slight_smile:

I find that even when I add the pipecleaner to the top that my masks it will still steam up my glasses. I usually have to wear my masks high up and put my glasses over the nose on my masks to keep it from steaming up.

2 Likes

Good to know! I have to be careful- I have to find a mask that isnā€™t so big that it hits my eyes, but still fits under my glasses. Not a lot of wiggle room!

Love that record fabric!

And nice nose wire! Iā€™m running low on jewelry wire, so I might need to make a purchase soonā€¦

Title: 7/7/20
Masks for: I found some Harry Potter fabric, so 1 for me, some for a friendā€™s kid, and extras for those who need them. 8 total in this batch
Pattern Link to Share:

3 Likes

Ive been using rubber coated floral/vegetable wire for my masks, got it super cheap at the dollar store too! =D if you melt the ends a tiny bit you dont have to worry about rust from washing the masks too which is nice!

3 Likes

Title: Masks, Masks, Masks
Masks For: Family/Daughters school!

Pattern https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pZLEtwD-yM

I made the pattern out of a few pieces of paper and just mass cut them out with a rotary cutter! Instead of elastic, Ive been using paracord so the ties can be adjustable, and they handle in the wash pretty well. Floral/vegetable wire I put into one of the hem seams for a nose wire and it holds up great too!!

Ive got 16 ready to finish in this picture (they just need the straps and turned outside right!) these will be split amongst family who need em, and the rest put in a box to go to my daughters school. Figured it couldnt hurt to try and batch make as many as I can so the kids can have em when school starts =)

4 Likes

Title: 7/9/20
Masks for: Friends and family. 12 in this batch. My sewing machine and I got into a fight last night. The tension has been all wonky, which I blame on the incessant mask making. So I decided to open up the thing and give it a good cleaning. There was A LOT of dust! Like a whole family of dust bunnies in there! Many screw later, I got it put back together and then it acted like the pedal wasnā€™t attached, which I most certainly was. I had a minor panic attack and had a pity party. I researched and opened the sucker back up to try out what I had read only to find that I couldnā€™t find what they were talking about. Frustrated, I closed it back up and tried to sucker again. Boom! It worked. Well, ok then. So, I didnā€™t get what I wanted done yesterday and had to postpone it until today thanks to the emotion whirlwind the sewing machine put me through.
Pattern Link to Share:

6 Likes

I have been sending them with elastics untied and instructions for fitting.

3 Likes

Title: Back to Work
Masks for: Sisterā€™s Administrative Assistant
Pattern Used: @magpieā€™s pattern

My sister asked if I would make some masks for her former admin asst. who has to go back to work soon. My sister asked if I could make them from Asian inspired fabrics.

This pattern has been my most successful as far as fit and comfort from the feedback I have been getting. I think I can almost make them in my sleep.

I, too, had to take apart my sewing machine and give her a good cleaning and oiling. I have gone through so many needles and I finally bought two huge spools of white and black thread.

6 Likes

Hey Friends! Since this round is still going strong, Iā€™m going to let it continue until the end of the month. The deadline is now Friday, July 31st. Thank you for all youā€™re doing to help your friends, family and communities, and for cheering one another on! :heart:

5 Likes