ROUND 3: Craftalongs Challenge - Lettuce Help Our Communities CLOSED

I’d also like to know exactly where those nose strips can be purchased, please! A PM is fine. I found some like that a while back (contoured and with holes for sewing), but now I cannot locate them. Would definitely help with my next round of mask plans. :slight_smile:

The company is called Advanced Manufacturing Enterprise…they are on FB and came up in my feed. I am getting the straight ones that still can be bent but are a bit smaller o use for kids.

1 Like

YES! That’s exactly the one I was looking for! Thank you so much. :heart: They showed up in my FB feed a couple months ago as well, but at the time I wasn’t going to branch out into other styles/sizes, as I figured I had things covered. Now that mask wearing is mandatory where I am, and punishable by civil fines, I need more masks for myself and family members that are comfortable, close fitting, and can be washed well. Just ordered the 50/50 mix pack of curved and straight.

1 Like

My district (and state) are fairly committed to having kids back in school in the fall- I"ll be wearing a mask and a shield, apparently. There will be plexiglass in some configuration, too. So, I’m definitely going to be making myself a large supply of masks. I might switch them out multiple times a day.

2 Likes

I am experiencing “making masks” withdrawal. The craft room in the middle of a redesign and of course it’s a good time to sort and reduce…everything, since all content came off the shelves. Yarn sorting is next, I have 2 bags of donated yarn that has no home and no room for more bins. Then fabric. I’m hoping to find some good mask making fabric that I missed in the first dig through. Once the sewing machine is uncovered, it isn’t moving so right now it’s buried behind stuff looking for a home in the room.

Our state is doing well because of tight and sane policies, but we are slowly reopening. I’m aware that this may not last, the virus will spread and we will be in lock down again. AND the need for masks is ongoing. Luckily, most people here understand and wear masks. But then you get the older guy at the farmer’s market pulling down his mask to see better (?) and barging through the line. Sigh. It’s a learning curve.

And what’s with the not covering the nose…so passive agressive. I’ll wear a mask, but you can’t make me wear it right!

2 Likes

Title: Bouquet of Masks
Masks for: My mom, my dad’s gf, and my neighbor
Pattern Link to Share: Magpie’s Face Mask with Darted Front

I keep forgetting to take pictures of the masks I make before I give them away. Oh well.

My friend just gave me a bunch of superhero and kid-themed fabric for me to make masks for her kiddos. Hopefully I’ll remember to take pics.

We are in the same boat, @marionberries. Fingers crossed all our mask wearing keeps the virus at bay in our area. As long as folks do it right… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

This fabric is just gorgeous and makes such lovely masks! And, I’m glad you showeI’ll be digging out my t-shirt scraps so I can make some straps- how wide & long did you cut the strips?

I only got those 3 masks out of that fabric, so they went to special people!

The t-shirt yarn straps are about 18 inches in length, but honestly, they are too long. I just cut from seam to seam and string them into the masks so I don’t have to think too much about it. Mr. Road cuts them once he fits it to his face because the long “tails” bother him. I could probably get a way with making them shorter, but I’m so nervous to make them too short. I just tell everyone they can cut them down if the want once they know it fits. :slight_smile:

Good idea to cut them longer! My “car” mask has a piece of cording for it, and I’ve been tying it into a bow so it doesn’t dangle. But, I can imagine that dangling ties would bug some people (myself included), so it’s nice that the t-shirt ties can be so easily cut down- the cording has to have its ends melted so it doesn’t fray, which could be a pain for some people to do.

1 Like

Oh my goodness, @Abbeeroad, there you go with the gorgeous fabrics again! Beautiful!

And @craftADDchick, eep, I wish you the best of luck with schools reopening! It’s so scary but I’m glad you’ll have a good supply of masks!

@AIMR, I love all those Asian inspired fabrics! So pretty!

Since last time I posted, we have sent 100 more masks to the Navajo Nation, given 70 to a local housing-for-homeless community, and 30 to a local women’s shelter. We’re going to start trying to give to more local places now, especially since the lieutenant governor sent us a huuuuge bolt of dark green fabric (was it chosen because it’s the color of the Washington flag?) to make masks for Washingtonians! Next I plan to ask the food bank if they could use masks too, for staff or to give out with the food. Oh, and several more have been taken from our porch, where we have free ones set in individual plastic bags out for delivery people! Oh, oh, and we also sent 20 to a friend of a friend on the Colville reservation!

Here’s the box sent off to the Navajo, 5 masks to a baggie (we didn’t want them to get wet or dirty in transit):

Anyway, here are the next few batches!

Title: 7/3 Masks
Masks for: Charities in WA
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/#face-mask-pattern

Title: 7/4 Masks
Pattern Link to Share: same
Yup, I did make a few masks on Independence Day. What better way to celebrate our nation than by trying to help keep our fellow citizens alive? And you can probably tell I adore Mom’s hydrangeas!

Title: 7/6 Masks

Title: 7/7 Masks

Title: 7/9 Masks

Title: 7/11 Masks

Title: 7/12 Masks

Title: 7/14 Masks

Title: 7/16 Masks

Title: 7/17 Masks
Today’s batch! XD

Sorry these are getting so repetitive. I have been having fun taking photos of them all though, because we’ve been using a huge variety of fabrics. We’ve already run out of lots of the patterns, so I like keeping a record of all the types we’ve made so far. And we have tons of new patterns coming up as well! :slight_smile:

Since we’ve also still been making them for family and friends and sending more out in the mail nearly every day, we’ve now given away over 600 masks, and will continue to keep making more. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You guys are AMAZING!!

1 Like

What an awesome superpower for these times! You are an incredibly generous person with your skills and time!

I love seeing all the beautiful fabrics you are using to try to cheer people up…we will get through this…I am hopeful.

1 Like

Title: 7/16/20
Masks for: Family and Friends
Pattern Link to Share: women’s are 8x8 fabric with pleats and pipecleaner at the nose. Men’s are 9x9 and kids are 5x7. 9 in this batch.

Title: 7/20/20
Masks for: A friend and my kids. 7 in this batch.
Pattern Link to Share:

2 Likes

Title: Boy Masks
Masks for: My friend’s 3 sons
Pattern Link to Share: Magpie’s Quick and Easy Mask with Darted Front

Title: Backup Masks
Masks for: 2 for my mom, one for my son

4 Likes

Probably the last I’ll get in this round.

Title: Manly Masks
Masks for: 2 for my FIL, 2 for my BIL

1 Like

Title: 7/18 Masks
Pattern Link to Share: https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/#face-mask-pattern

Title: 7/19 Masks

Title: 7/20 Masks

Title: 7/21 Masks

Title: 7/22 Masks

Title: 7/23 Masks

Title: 7/24 Masks

Title: 7/25 Masks

Title: 7/27 Masks

And here’s a photo I took recently of all the different designs we had “in stock” at the time:

This week I’m going to send a few to some friends and Pokémon coworkers, and then a big batch to the local food bank, who would like to give them out with bags of food. They’ve requested children’s sizes, so we just started making those too! Haven’t finished any yet though.

2 Likes

I have to say that I am just so humbled by your charity and making these for your community…

1 Like

I got some new fabric and had make more masks! Posting just to share, not an entry

4 Likes

great fabrics!

Title: 7/29/20
Masks for: My husband’s cousin’s family. 16 masks in this batch.
Pattern Link to Share:

Title: 7/30/20
Masks for: My kiddos. They each had something in mind that they wanted. :wink:
Pattern Link to Share:

4 Likes