Scrappy Appliqué Cat

@photojenn and I did another personal swap, this is what I made her.

It’s a new technique I learned recently after stumbling upon an online trunk show hosted by Shannon Brinkley. She’s the creator of the Scrappy Appliqué technique, which is fantastic, fairly easy to grasp and not as time consuming as regular appliqué.

In hindsight, I should have used smaller pieces of fabric for a piece this size.

The cat was appliquéd on a fusible web, ironed to the white background, straight stitched with invisible thread and outlined with zigzag before the quilt sandwich was made and none of this is visible on the back of the quilt. Then it was quilted with wavy lines just on the white background.

I already have a larger project on the go.

23 Likes

What a gorgeous mini-quilt! I love the scrappy look and the wavy quilting.

1 Like

I love this so much! The style, the fabrics and colors, the stitching… everything about it.

1 Like

so nice! The wavy quilting makes me think of cat purrs.

2 Likes

I love that you did the paper pieced one and this scrappy one! Love the wavy quilting!

1 Like

Absolutely lovely!

1 Like

That is a very cheery kitty!

1 Like

Super cool technique! Love the colorful scrappiness.

What a sweet cat. It’s beautiful.

1 Like

Pretty fabric choices! This turned out really great!

1 Like

wonderful! I love the look of this, the subject matter (cats!) and the fact that it’s little nose is pink!

1 Like

I did that on purpose :smiley:

2 Likes

It didnt go unnoticed. :wink:

2 Likes

:sparkler: :partying_face: Congratulations, this is a featured project for this week. :partying_face: :sparkler:

1 Like