Scrappy Crowns for Pretend Play

I have two pretty imaginative kids. They love to play pretend and I love to encourage it. When they wanted to be “kings” today, I made them some crowns! I was inspired by a picture I randomly found on this blog. I don’t even know the source. Maybe Etsy. Because I have one girl into pink and one into blue, I had to color them accordingly, of course.

They are crude for sure, but will work for the intended purpose.

A closer shot of the pink:

And the blue:

And modeled by some stuffed animals that were much more cooperative than my 3-year-olds.

There’s about 10 inches of raw elastic across the back for easy on/off.

Thanks for looking!

36 Likes

Super cute!!!

1 Like

Ohh, I adore these! The feather stamps? Grrrrllll. I want a crown. Who else remembers that swap from cster? Terribly Important SOB or some such, lol.

4 Likes

Um, I know a much older kid who now also wants to play kings :raising_hand_woman:t2:. Love these.

2 Likes

I think @Edel may have stamped that feather… :thinking:

LOL, yes!! :crown: :face_with_monocle:

Yes I did, I think they might have been some of the very first lino cuts I made.
They look great!

@Magpie that was a great swap. I got a crown!

2 Likes

I love these!!! My little guy loves hats and rainbows… might have to borrow this idea for him :wink:

1 Like

These are great! I want one.

1 Like

Those are so adorble and I love the scrappy nature of it all. So awesome!

1 Like

Yessss!

These are fabulous! And the use of elastic is smart cuz then you can simply change it out for a longer one as they grow to keep the wearability. Genius!

1 Like

These are adorable, and the stamped feathers give them an added dash of whimsy. I would proudly wear either one of them!

And, that sounds like a fun swap! I’d have to invent a special day during Spirit Week so I could wear one! Royalty Day, perhaps?

1 Like

I remember that swap! Got the most epic apron in the history of EVER in that one!

1 Like

Abbee, those are so great! I’m sure the girls will get hours and hours of fun out of them.

And yeah, I totally remember that swap. I love the wire, Swarovski crystal, and freshwater pearl tiara I got. I’ve worn it many a time.

1 Like

Just such a fun and creative thing to make to help spark the imagination of your children!

1 Like

I may have tried them on, lol. I think they will grow with them. :grin:

2 Likes

A retrospective thread of awesome swap gifts would be the coolest thing. I wanna see all your crowns! And aprons? LOL, ok, those too!
Abbee, I seriously want a crown now. I wonder if you’d post a tutorial? I’m sure I could figure something out but I absolutely love what you did & would drool over every close up step by step pic… :purple_heart:

2 Likes

On the crochet one I made for (the 2 year birthday) I did not do the elastic and made it a bit big instead (for time mostly, because, as usual, I was crafting crazy trying to beat the deadline haha) but the next one I make will be adjustable/elastic backed. I really love the style of yours, they should be in a magazine!

1 Like

@Magpie - I might make one for my niece so I’ll try to take step by step pics and maybe be a little more profesh lol. There are def a couple things I’d do differently. And it probably needs a stiffer interfacing. I just used fusible web because it’s what I had on hand.

@AntBee - I LOVED that crown!

2 Likes

these are so wonderful. They are not crude but artfully scrappy. I love the mix of stamping and stitching and colors. I bet the kids look super cute.

1 Like