Show us your harvest!

Dutch as in Belgium or the Netherlands ?

1 Like

I’m from the Netherlands (though close to the border). You?

There are quite a few Dutch speakers around on LC. I think I know about 4 others, from both the Netherlands and Belgium.

1 Like

So jealous of your fruit! What a haul!

2 Likes

I’m from the center of Belgium just not in East part of Flanders.(1 km)
Yes i do know one too from Belgium. He was already part of the previous Craftercommunity.

1 Like

4 Likes

Is that a lettuce of some kind?

1 Like

Yes it is! I think it’s called romaine lettuce in English, the variety is Little Gem Sucrine according to the packet. I cut off just enough for a little salad for lunch and it grows back really fast.

1 Like

Such beautiful produce!

1 Like

Somehow I managed to kill off nearly all of my green bean plants. I have about 5 sad looking plants left and this is the first harvest! They do look like proper beans even though there are only two. And to think we used to have a whole patch of green beans at home that no one really tended to and basically grew by itself. The only thing we had to do is can 50 or 100 jars of beans. I really hadn’t expected my first crop to fail!

3 Likes

Your green bean harvest looks a bit like my snow pea harvest this year. Maybe we both should try a different variety next year. Your zucchini is lovely!

1 Like

Those two zucchini’s are now soup! Tomato zucchini soup to be precise. We’ve had a massive heatwave so I haven’t been able to cook for a while but thankfully now it’s cooler. I still have two more in the fridge and at least 5 on the way this week.

The total green bean count is 5 now! I didn’t have a lot of snow peas either, maybe 100 grams in 4 weeks.

2 Likes

Ok make that 3 in the fridge and a dozen on the way. If the weather cools down over the weekend I might just make the marrow & ginger jam recipe from @Edel next! And after that maybe I shouldn’t make any more jam. I’ve got 6 half pints of jam already and we don’t eat that much of it.

My tomatoes are slowing production for 100°F days, but the mints are still happy to give me enough for an extra large pitcher of tea each day. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Everyone’s harvest and the stories are wonderful! We did no gardening this year…the move was too much for me and after nearly a year, I still have a room of boxes to go through. We signed a two year lease this round, so I feel a bit more secure now to do a garden next year…at least a few tomatoes and peppers!

Good to hear how everyone is using their produce to make delicious foods and canned goods.

1 Like

I didn’t go into the garden yesterday, I had a hospital appointment and then went the visit my mum who lives in the same town. I took two zucchini’s. When I went into the garden this morning, there were 3 massive ones waiting to be picked. The biggest one the size of my forearm. I will probably make marrow & ginger jam tonight.

Has anyone ever frozen (blanched, diced) zucchini? I’ve heard the texture changes and becomes a bit like rubber, so that doesn’t sound great, but it would be very convenient to have a few bags of zucchini in the freezer.

1 Like

I’ve tried freezing stuffed zucchini and it came out really soft and gross when defrosted. If you have a dehydrator you can make zucchini chips to add to soups and stews over the winter. Do you make zucchini bread? That should freeze well.

1 Like

Oh that’s a great idea! We still have banana bread so I didn’t want to bake more treats but I can just freeze a few loaves. I don’t have a dehydrator but it’s worth a try to dry it in the oven.

Does anyone have a tried and tested zucchini bread recipe that’s not extremely sweet? I made it for the first time today and used this recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/6698/moms-zucchini-bread/ but it’s so extremely sweet I struggled to eat more than a few bites.

A few years ago my husband got me a columnar apple tree. We have so many apples on it this year (Thank you bees!) This is just a small portion of what we have so far.

The apples are very fragrant. They taste like slightly sweet apple cider with a slight touch of floral (like a flower blossom).

6 Likes

They look so gorgeous and tasty!