Skirt Sew-Along

During the height of Covid my daughter wanted to sew a skirt, but she’s a beginner and needed my help, and she lives 100 miles away. We decided to do a sew-along, where we each made the same skirt, over Zoom.

I conveniently had a document camera, since I was teaching from home, which I set up over my work space.

I drafted a pleated skirt to fit her measurements–no pattern required, just measuring and marking. It has a side opening in the pocket. I emailed her a pdf of the pocket pattern to print out at her end. Technology is a wonderful thing.

The one she made.

The one I made.

28 Likes

Yaaas, mama! What an awesome project! & also, those fabrics, nice!

2 Likes

Looks like she is taking after you in the sewing skills area! Both are wonderful…and what a unique way to not only bond, but to share a skill!

1 Like

Beautiful skirts! The fabric used for the gray skirt is fantastic :slight_smile:

1 Like

After years of trying to get either of my children interested in sewing, ONE finally is. I think it has always been easier for them to have me make whatever they wanted because they could get it faster, than to learn to do it themselves. This child here just got a Brother sewing machine that does embroidery, which is her real love.

3 Likes

The chemistry fabric IS fantastic. I was going to make a shirt for myself but I sacrificed it to the cause.

2 Likes

Did you get it on Spoonflower? I have a fat quarter of similar fabric and was going to buy more to make a shirt as well…I also have a math equations fabric…I learned to sew at an early age and was so glad my mom taught me how to make clothing, because I really got a chance to shine when I was in college with unique clothes…I could get into my nerdy self…lol

1 Like

It’s Robert Kaufman…the collection is called science fair.

3 Likes

These are so fantastic and I LOVE the chemistry skirt.

Can you do a skirt sew along with me, too?! :wink:

4 Likes

Nice! The one I have looks very similar…only the print is pretty tiny…same designer as the math fabric

My future math shirt

1 Like

It also reminds me of the microscope fabric! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am totally down for a skirt see along! (No pressure)
The fabric and fit are wonderful, great job

2 Likes

Yes…it is the one I used in your quilt square!

1 Like

Ooh, I’d do a skirt-along! @Pigeon loves clothes, we could make one for her :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I can hear the “How about doing the sew-a-long as an LC class” vibe screaming from here. :slight_smile:

These are fabulous skirts, but more awesome is the way they came about as a shared project. I love that.

4 Likes

Wonderful project yielding such lovely results!

These are awesome!

What amazing skirts! Adorable and they look so comfy!

This is an awesome way to help someone sew!!! And you both made beautiful skirts!

:scissors: :yarn: What-ho, Gentle Crafter! Your craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :thread: :page_with_curl:

2 Likes