"So Much Universe" Night Landscape Embroidered Bookmark

“So much universe and so little time.” - Terry Pratchett

I’ve been admiring this type of embroidered landscape - thread painting - for a while now. I just haven’t had the guts to jump in and try it until now. It’s also been a while since I did any stitching that wasn’t incredibly simple.

My swap partner in the Winter Book Swap, @geekgirl, had quite a few embroidered landscapes Pinned. I figured that now was a good time to take the plunge!

The fabric is linen. I couldn’t get my hands on any black thread, so the black is Perler cotton, but the rest is embroidery floss. It’s attached to a loop of soft cotton elastic.

Sadly, the stitches got a bit squashed when I dampened the cloth to remove the fabric marker. I’m sure they’ll fluff back up a bit with time and use.

In-process shots:

26 Likes

This is so pretty! Really nicely done!

1 Like

I saw this in the thread and love it so much!! You did such a great job! I love this style of stitching, and the trees against the sky just slays my heart!

1 Like

This is gorgeous. It looks like a little piece of magic!

2 Likes

Cool! The sky has a very VanGogh vibe… I have always admired this style of embroidery, but it does seem intimidating! You did a lovely job with it.

1 Like

Wow, the embroidery style is just gorgeous. I love the colors, the stitches, the quote. It is just so beautiful!

1 Like

Truly stunning. I love how this turned out!

1 Like

Thank you! It really was intimidating. I wasn’t sure it would look good until it was almost finished. Then, huge sigh of relief!

Beautiful stitching. Just, wow!

1 Like

Nice job!

1 Like

I love the landscape so much. The colors are beautiful and I love the motion of it. That bit of pink, my favorite part!

2 Likes

Congrats! Your “So Much Universe” Bookmark is a featured project for this week!

1 Like

Oh, wow! Thank you!