Solar Printing - An Exploration Tutorial

Great tutorial Jennie, these are mine.

Two designs on one piece

Natural materials from the garden

Colour mixing I painted alternate stripes.

10 Likes

Thank you dear!

Now that it’s morning, and I’m not rushing to finish the write up while my daughter fusses, and dinner needs to be served, I was able to go back and reread my tutorial. I realized I forgot a couple details that I’ve now added in, including about printing on paper and silk, and where to find the exposure times on the bottles.

@sheepBlue, @Abbeeroad and @Edel, if you have time later and think of it, I’d love pics of the silk scarves, since I only have a pic of the first one I did.

Also, I thought to myself while rereading that, ‘Wow, remember how hard it was to load a page with a detailed tutorial on Deadster? Waiting for all the pictures to load one by one… This platform works so much better!’

5 Likes

So much fun!

1 Like

The silk scarf modelled by this natty gentleman.

And him helping me show it,

10 Likes

My lovely green scarf!

:heart_eyes:

9 Likes

This is just all WOW and WOW and WOW! Your hardwork picking out a group project really paid off in WOWness!

2 Likes

Wow what a fantastic array of gorgeous projects and amazing tutorial and tips!! These are all fabulous, I especially love the blue/violet lace print, it’s beautiful!!

1 Like

I knew you were going to come up with a brilliant tutorial, you totally don’t disappoint!

Here’s the lovely scarf I got to take home :smiley:

7 Likes

I love this project! I had not heard of solar dye before, just those print kits for paper where you use leaves and flowers. These all came out beautiful. Thank you for the full tutorial, I definitely want to try this and with the amount of sun we get out here next to the Rocky Mountains it should be a snap to set outside.

2 Likes

I almost forgot to mention: You can print photographs with this dye! To do so you need to print out the negative onto a clear transparency sheet from Jacquard, with an ink jet printer. They also produce special markers that allow you to draw directly on the transparency sheet, to create your own negative drawing. I didn’t try either of them, so I can’t offer any tips on them, but wanted folks to be aware of them as an option.

For those who want to dip their toes in, Jacquard makes both a Starter Kit. And for those who either teach, or want to dive in with a group of friends, they make a Class Kit. The Starter Kit includes 3 mini (2-oz) bottles of dye, and a 2 oz bottle of Wash, along with some sponges, 3 transparency sheets, gloves, and a few pins, for about $28. The Class Kit says it works for a group up to 30 people, and includes 4 8-oz bottles of dye, 1 8-oz bottle of Wash, 30 5"x8" pieces of cotton for making test prints, 40 transparency sheets, 5 markers, gloves, t-shirt boards, pins, and sponges, for $105-130.

Neither of these seemed like a good deal for me personally, since I already owned so many craft supplies, and mainly wanted a large selection of dye colors. All told to buy 4 8-oz bottles of dye, 4 4-oz bottles of dye, 1 8-oz bottle of wash, and a 16-oz bottle of Synthrapol, I spent $126, (including $22 in shipping).

I’ve edited above to add this in.

3 Likes

Ooh, thank you for the extensive review! (I think I was eying the older version of this product right about the time it got discontinued, & had missed that there’s now a larger color range back available. Whee!)

1 Like

I love the leafy ones best of all but they are really all so great. Neat how they end up looking like batik!