Stone steps at the botanic garden

Varnish won’t change the texture but you can use it to unify or change the sheen - glossy, matte, satin. I believe there are some varnishes that will yellow over time (hundreds of years) but I don’t believe the acrylic varnish I use will. I think it’s more common with traditional varnishes that can be removed with mineral spirits. I am far from an expert about varnishes however :slight_smile:

I have only bothered with varnish on pieces which are done on canvas panels since I find the paint looks a bit dull until varnish is added. I find the paint looks far more vibrant on wood panels which I believe is due to the smoothness of the surface. I should try varnishing a painting on a wood panel and see if I notice a difference.

I don’t believe varnish will affect your colors fading or not as that’s more a function of the pigments themselves (lightfastness rating) although there might be UV varnish which could slow it down.

1 Like

How absolutely gorgeous! I can’t believe that’s not a photograph!!!

1 Like

Beautifully done! The shadows and stone are stunning!!!

1 Like

Truly stunning. I loved watching your progress on this one and the finished piece did not disappoint!! I love it.

1 Like

Before and after varnish. It’s also a few hours later so the lighting isn’t completely the same.

7 Likes

So vibrant! Thanks for showing the difference! Protects and beautifies!

1 Like

I loved following your work in process and I really love the end result!
A beautiful piece of art!
Thank you so much for sharing.

1 Like

The texture, sunlight, and sense of space in this painting are just wonderful!

1 Like