Striped Knit blanket Winter Project

This was my at-hand winter project. Easy to pick up and put down, no worries about leaving it mid-row when someone needed something and warm on my lap as I worked on it in the evenings. The yarn is Caron Baby Cakes in Sweet Summer Stripes. My goal is to do some personal crafting each day (as in, not just guiding the child in age-appropriate craft projects) and am trying to work up enough of the yarn stash that I can fit it all into one cabinet so this was my answer to that for over winter.
It all started with an aisle of discount yarn in a “we buy overstock and sell it cheap” store. So, of course I bought some. 4 cakes to be exact. Did I have a project in mind like I am supposed to before buying? Ehh, no. So once I decided to make a blanket for my kid I naturally wanted more yarn to make an enormous blanket (like queen size bed) but luckily/unluckily when I went back they no longer had any, so the original 4 cakes it was.
I did about 345 cast on stitches randomly and magically it worked out to keep the colors striping nicely. I’m really pleased with the layout. I started with 2 color bands in seed stitch and then did I think 10 stitches of seed stitch at both ends to sort of match the width of the bottom border, I just did it by eyeball, not really counting things. I kept it to stockinette for the body. I worked until each of the 4 cakes was used up and played a bit of yarn chicken at the end with the purple. The cake ended on the peachy color but I was hoping to end in the purples with seed stitch to match the starting rows and it did! So that was fortuitous as well.

Finished size approximately 80”x45”

18 Likes

I love this! And it looks like kiddo loves it too!! Score!

Your description of the project is great (I paraphrase): “I just picked up this yarn and started knitting with it and it all worked out exactly how I wanted it to!” :laughing: Awesome!

3 Likes

It is as if you channeled the yarn into what it wanted to be!! Everything worked out…charmed, for sure!

Seed stitch? You are now definitely that crazy knitting woman… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I zoomed right in to see the seed stitch, it looks great!

I also zoomed in to see lil’ miss who also looks great! What a cutie.

1 Like

What a great little blanket! Looks very cheery & cozy.

1 Like

Thank you, friends!

It came out beautifully my dear!

1 Like

Patterns? We don’t need no stinkin’ patterns!

Great job!

3 Likes

Wow! Big and beautiful!!

1 Like

:dizzy: :yarn: Congrats! Your sweet summer blanket is one of this week’s featured projects! :yarn: :dizzy:

Thank you!

1 Like

Oh my goodness that is big and cozy looking!

1 Like

What a wonderful project! And it turned out so cute!

1 Like

Thank you, friends!

1 Like

this looks great! so cozy!

1 Like

OMG! I want to snuggle up with this blanket! It looks so soft and warm and cozy!

1 Like

My daughter got a twin loft bed and fortuitously the blanket is a decent fit!

3 Likes