This was my at-hand winter project. Easy to pick up and put down, no worries about leaving it mid-row when someone needed something and warm on my lap as I worked on it in the evenings. The yarn is Caron Baby Cakes in Sweet Summer Stripes. My goal is to do some personal crafting each day (as in, not just guiding the child in age-appropriate craft projects) and am trying to work up enough of the yarn stash that I can fit it all into one cabinet so this was my answer to that for over winter.
It all started with an aisle of discount yarn in a “we buy overstock and sell it cheap” store. So, of course I bought some. 4 cakes to be exact. Did I have a project in mind like I am supposed to before buying? Ehh, no. So once I decided to make a blanket for my kid I naturally wanted more yarn to make an enormous blanket (like queen size bed) but luckily/unluckily when I went back they no longer had any, so the original 4 cakes it was.
I did about 345 cast on stitches randomly and magically it worked out to keep the colors striping nicely. I’m really pleased with the layout. I started with 2 color bands in seed stitch and then did I think 10 stitches of seed stitch at both ends to sort of match the width of the bottom border, I just did it by eyeball, not really counting things. I kept it to stockinette for the body. I worked until each of the 4 cakes was used up and played a bit of yarn chicken at the end with the purple. The cake ended on the peachy color but I was hoping to end in the purples with seed stitch to match the starting rows and it did! So that was fortuitous as well.
Finished size approximately 80”x45”