Superb Starling Illustration

A friend asked me to draw a superb starling for her. Look them up, that’s really their name. :wink: She needs it for her Facebook group to put onto merchandise she’d like to offer. She only needed the line art from me. Her husband will scan the image into his computer and digitally color it for select projects. I don’t draw much anymore so I forget how much I enjoy it. This bird is encircled in the planets, including the outcast… Pluto.
Thank you for stopping by.

UPDATE
Here is a screenshot of the digitically colored version on my friend’s website. Her husband colored it. It’s not exactly the direction I would have gone but it looks nice. I did get the original back from her and will color it in the future for her to keep. I will update this post when it is finished

31 Likes

This is so beautifully done!! I wish I could draw birds like that!! Truly superb :wink:

2 Likes

Fabulous drawing!!

1 Like

Beautiful illustration and I love that you included Pluto. Very cool design. I hope you share some of the results of the coloring too.

4 Likes

Lovely.

I believe in you, Pluto!

3 Likes

Love this!

1 Like

So lovely

1 Like

Beautiful drawing … when I first read the title, I thought you were complementing your drawing skills :smiley:

2 Likes

Super cool! The way he/she is flying conveys so much motion.
I bet it was weird to leave it just as an uncolored line drawing. It would have been for me at least.

1 Like

Beautiful work, as usual.

1 Like

Spectacular drawing! And, stay your awesome self, Pluto!

1 Like

You guys are awesome. Leaving this one uncolored wasn’t weird as much as it was a little anti-climatic as the bird is very colorful and I wanted to color it just to have that control over the final outcome. I’ve drawn black and white illustrations before for others. I did a couple dozen drawings ten years ago for a marine biologist who was producing her own text book. That was fun.

2 Likes

Congrats! Your Superb Starling Illustration is one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

2 Likes

It’s definitely a starling! [eta: that sounds not as complimentary as I intended. I meant that you did a good job because it’s not just “random bird”] You got it! Too bad you didn’t get to do the coloring; their plumage is so interesting – did you save a copy for yourself to color? It’s pretty cool flying through the planets, and three cheers for Pluto!

1 Like

I gave her the original. I may re-draw it one day, or… I suppose I could request it back when they are done scanning it just to color it for her. Hmmmm…

1 Like

Awww. Thank you so much! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

WOW. This is really lovely.

I think I am going to add Space Birds to my 2020 BINGO card, too!

1 Like

I adore starlings when very few others don’t. This is a wonderful rendition!!

I updated the first post with the digitically colored version from my friend’s website.

1 Like