Organized swaps take place on Lettuce Crafts in the Crafty Shenanigans board. Swaps come in many shapes, sizes, and forms, but the basic idea is that you make a great crafty package that meets the swap’s theme and requirements and takes into consideration your partner’s wishes and preferences. You send the package you created to them and they send the package they created to you! Swaps are lots of fun; they can motivate you to create something really great and it’s often a fun challenge because there’s a certain theme to follow. Plus, you get something original in return!
‘Swaps are started when a qualified LC member decides to take on the task of organizing one according to a specific set of rules. The member who decides to organize a swap (the Swap Organizer) is in charge of that swap. They will create a sign up thread, pair partners, make sure everyone receives a package, start up the Swap Gallery, and give everyone feedback.
‘Swap Moderators are in place to assure that the swaps are running smoothly. The Moderators are amazing LC members who have volunteered to help keep an eye on swaps and answer member questions. Swap Moderators love swapping on LC and are here to make sure that the swap rules are followed, that swaps are completed, that feedback is given, and that any problems are worked out as amicably as possible. In every swap, the person who starts the thread (the Swap Organizer) is ultimately responsible for the swap they are hosting. Swap Moderators are in charge of assisting with swapping in general and troubleshooting if necessary.
Swaps do run smoothly most of the time, but here and there we’ve run into problems with people flaking on their swap obligations, so it’s important to follow the rules below.
If you have a specific question, comment, or problem with swapping and need Swap Moderator assistance, the best thing to do is to submit a ticket at the Help Desk. The Help Desk is still under construction. Be sure to mark it as “SWAP-RELATED” and a Swap Moderator will get back to you as soon as possible.
ABOUT BEING A SWAP ORGANIZER
New rules about being an organizer (9.1.21)
You must message @gozer, @loves2experiment and @kittykill before opening a new swap. The reason for this is so that you can be assigned a swap mod liaison and have a spreadsheet set up for your new swap.
Verify that the members signing up for the swap are in good standing (this can be done once you have access to the spreadsheets)
~ What are the conditions to be met in order to organize a swap
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You have fully read the Swap Rules.
- You have successfully completed 2 swaps as a participant.
- You are not organizing more than 3 swaps right now.
- You must recruit a co-organizer or send all details to a Swap Moderator if your swap has more than 25 participants.
- You must be able to update and complete the LC swap spreadsheet for your swap.
- A swap moderator will be assigned for each organized swap. Please contact your assigned swap organizer if you need help resolving issues, have questions, etc.
~ Starting Your Swap
- Start the official thread for your swap using the swap sign-up form. Be sure to include all the appropriate details and tag the post as “swap-signups”.
Zippered Pouch Swap (signup 6/2 - 6/16 ; send outs 7/15)
- Approve members who want to participate. Before accepting a participant for your swap, check the LC member’s status to make sure the member is eligible to swap:
- The swapper is at least 16 years old.
- The swapper has been a LC member for at least one month.
- The swapper has posted at least 15 times on LC.
- The swapper has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time.
- The swapper is not currently signed up for more than five swaps.
- The swapper does not have any negative feedback.
Note: When your swap has been selected as an official swap, you will be provided access to an updated list of LC members who have swapped on LC. You will use this list to cross-check a member’s eligibility to swap.
- Post a list of approved members in the main swap thread and update the list when you approve additional swappers.
- Update the LC swap spreadsheet for your swap so that the swap moderators can update their records.
~ During Your Swap
- When signups are closed for your swap, change the tag for your swap thread from “swap-signups” to “swaps”.
- Post the list of assigned swap partners.
- Check-in with your swap participants during the swapping period to make sure everyone is alright.
- Post reminders about swap deadlines as needed.
- Start a swap gallery thread (with the tag “swap-gallery”) to showcase photos for your swap.
- Update your swap participants list in the swap thread when swappers have sent and received swap packages.
- Keep the LC swap spreadsheet for your swap current with updates on send out dates, received dates and tracking #s.
- If a swap participant has not mailed out a swap package 2 weeks after the swap deadline, please contact your assigned swap moderator for assistance.
~ Completion of Your Swap
- When a swap participant has fulfilled all swap obligations, you may leave feedback for the swapper by updating your LC swap spreadsheet with appropriate feedback (noting any applicable comments about communication, meeting swap deadlines, etc.). As long as the swap participant has met the swap requirements, the swapper will receive positive feedback. Negative feedback is reserved for swap participants that either have not sent the proper amount of swap items or have not sent at all.
- When all your swap participants have received feedback for the swap, you may close your swap and mark the swap as complete by updating the title of the swap thread to indicate that the swap is finished.
COMPLETED - Zippered Pouch Swap (signup 6/2 - 6/16 ; send outs 7/15)
ABOUT BEING A PARTICIPANT IN A SWAP
~ What are the conditions to be met in order to participate in a swap
- You are at least 16 years old.
- You have been a LC member for at least 1 month.
- You have posted at least 15 times on LC.
You are not signed up for more than the swap limit. If you have never swapped on LC, you may only sign up for one swap. Once you have completed that swap successfully, you may sign up for up to five swaps at a time. For now, if you swapped on Craftster and are in good standing, you may have 5 active swaps at one time. Members who did not swap on Cster and members with negative feedback on Craftster may sign up for one swap now.
You must be the sole user of the account. This means that if you swap, you cannot let friends or
family use your account also. You are responsible for any Negative Feedback that occurs under
~ Joining a swap
‘Swap Organizers can set up swap specific rules about age limits, communication requirements for the
swap, etc. The Swap Organizer has the right to choose who may participate in the swap, and may
exclude anyone for any good reason such as poor feedback comments, a history of sending late, etc.
In each swap signup thread, there is a list of questions you must answer and send to the organizer in
order to join the swap. When you see a swap you are interested in joining, copy the form, fill it out in
full, and send it to the organizer of the swap via Message. In addition, you must post in
the signup thread. The thread is a major means of communication for the organizer and the swap
Please think carefully before you join a swap about whether you will truly be able to fulfill your end of
the swap by the deadline that is given. Read through all the rules and make sure you are comfortable
with them. If you have any questions, send the organizer a private message or post on the thread to
clarify. Make sure you know exactly what’s expected of you before you commit.
Here is a general guideline for item sizes in a swap
This is a guideline ONLY : a rough estimate of sizes described by time it takes to make package, by physical size and by cost:
-Large = 3 or more hours
-Medium = 2 or more hours
-Small = 2 or less hours
-Large = A shawl, a shirt, a skirt, a set of jewelry with four to five items, a purse
-Medium = one single necklace or bracelet, a scarf
-Small = Earrings, stickers, wallets, pouches, bookmarks
-Large = $30 or more
-Medium = $10-$30 dollars
-Small = $10 or less
~ Items that are not allowed in swap packages
The following items are not allowed in swap packages:
-Anything that is illegal in the U.S. or wherever you are sending your package to or from.
-Any items that have a legal age requirement to consume in the U.S. such as tobacco, alcohol,
-Mixed CDs containing copyrighted music or similar, including copied software, CDs, DVDs, etc.
~ Mailing your swap items to your swap partner
For packages sent within the U.S., you must use package tracking when you mail your package. Send the tracking number to the Swap Organizer and to your partner so that they can record it. This tracking number is your proof that you actually mailed your package.
If your package is lost in the mail or your partner disappears without reporting that they received, you
will still get Positive Feedback if you provided a valid tracking to your organizer. Package tracking is for your protection!
If you send internationally, you must keep the receipt you get for shipping the item. The receipt should have information about where the package is going. Photograph or scan the receipt and send it to the organizer and your partner when you report that your package is mailed.
Exception to the tracking rules: some shipping places (like the US Post Office) won’t do package tracking/delivery confirmation on packages that are too thin, such as normal envelopes. Because of this, papercraft swaps are exempt from the tracking requirements, BUT participants are required to resend if for any reason their package is not received.
~ What if you unexpectedly can’t make the deadline?
If for any reason you are unable to fulfill your commitment by the swap deadline, it is crucial that you
let the Swap Organizer know via PM as soon as possible. If the swap is still in signup stage and
partners have not been assigned, you may withdraw from the swap with no penalty. A swap mod will
remove your feedback. If the swap is past the signup stage it is up to your organizer to decide if you
can have your feedback removed. If they think the feedback should stay, you may receive Negative
Feedback. Keep in mind that Negative Feedback is reversible. Later in this guide, the process for
reversing Negative Feedback is explained.
~ Once you have received a package from your swap partner
As soon as possible, send a PM to both the Swap Organizer and your partner and let them know that
the item has arrived. The Swap Organizer will create a separate “Swap Gallery” for this swap. You
should then post photos and a description of what you received from your partner. Make sure to thank
Receiving feedback for your swap participation
After your partner has received the package you sent, the Swap Organizer will post Positive or
Negative Feedback, along with any applicable comments about your communication and your
participation in the swap. As long as you meet the swap requirements, you will receive Positive
Feedback. The Swap Organizer is responsible for including accurate comments about your
participation. Poor communication or late sending will be noted.
If you are unable to meet the deadline within two weeks of the stated send date, but are still in
communication, you will receive temporary Negative Feedback that will be changed to positive once
your partner has received your package.
If you do not meet the swap requirements, either by not sending the proper amount of items or by not
sending at all, you will receive Negative Feedback and you will not be allowed to sign up for any more
swaps until you either send to your partner or become a swap angel at a later date. Although your
Negative will be changed to Positive so that you may swap again, the original comments about your
performance will remain.
If the swap has been over for quite some time and you still do not have feedback, please PM your
Swap Organizer and ask them to update it as soon as possible. If you do not get an answer, open a
swap-related Help Desk ticket. *Help Desk still under construction. Please send a message to the swap mods.