The 3 year shawl

When my grandpa was alive, he used to tease my grandma that she “didn’t use up yarn; she wore it out,” because of all the stops, starts, frogging, etc. And I – I take after her. I can never just crochet a thing successfully from start to finish. Such is the story with this shawl.

I bought this yarn… (thinking) 7-8 years ago with an entirely different pattern in mind. The yarn is some kind of wool, but I lost the wrappers somewhere along the way (I’ve also moved twice since I bought it). So I was crocheting along, trying to make this basketweave bolero thing and not succeeding. Gauge issues and all kinds of problems. Lots of ripping out and starting over. This yarn did have a brush with fame as I sat crocheting in the Pittsburgh airport five seats away from Zachary Quinto. I debated striking up a conversation, but he was pretty grumpy because his flight to Paris had been delayed repeatedly and, from what I gathered, he had spent the better part of the day sitting in the airport. So I figured he didn’t need some rando bothering him, plus, “Heroes” had just ended and I didn’t want him going all Silar on me (ok, to be fair, he was super polite and patient with all the airline staff and mostly I’m a chicken).

When I finally conceded that I was not going to accomplish that pattern, I found the “sidewalk shawl” pattern on the Red Heart website. I don’t know what sidewalk has to do with anything, I just thought it looked nice. It took me 3 years because projects without any kind of deadline continually get bumped for more urgent projects. I finally finished crocheting this spring and got around to blocking it mid-summer and then tied on the fringe a couple of weeks ago.

Blocking

Pineapple ready for its close-up

Action shots!

Cool shawl pin that I found at Joann’s and hung onto for a year awaiting this day!

27 Likes

That turned out beautifully! It’s so rewarding to use up stash that has been kicking around forever too.

2 Likes

That pattern really works with that yarn…and it turned out beautiful…practical, too! I love your shawl pin accessory.

2 Likes

What a gorgeous shawl!

2 Likes

I admire your shawl and I admire you not rushing Zachary Quinto (he’s gorgeous!)

3 Likes

Beautiful pattern and color.

2 Likes

Thanks, peeps!

@bethntim haha I guess instead of saying I was a chicken I can say I showed admirable restraint.

3 Likes

The shawl is gorgeous and the yarn is perfect for it. And I’m just a tiny bit jealous of your hair!

1 Like

Stunning! The soft color shifts of the yarn pair well with the pattern, really letting it shine.

1 Like

Wow, the first two pics don’t do the colors justice, but the pattern is yummy. It is absolutely beautiful on you. Nice finish!

1 Like

This is so beautiful! You are stunning.

2 Likes

Wow, just gorgeous. And I love the story behind it, too!

2 Likes

Lovely colors! You did a beautiful job, worth the wait!

I admit I had less restraint than you when I met Burt Reynolds about 15 years ago. He kindly gave me his autograph though! (And Zachary is waaaaaaay cooler… sorry, Burt.)

2 Likes

Absolutely beautiful!

1 Like

lol Burt was cool… back in the day! :laughing:

Yes… but that would be showing my age… :grimacing::laughing:

2 Likes

Thank you, all!
@MistressJennie I think, in the end, it’s a good thing I ended up making this and not the original basketweave thing – it just didn’t show off the colors like the shawl does!

Aw, thanks. :blush: I was having a pretty good hair day that day. Sometimes I love it, other times it makes me weep.

1 Like