The Great Lettuce Craft Holiday Bakeoff! 2021

Well, Hanukkah is actually more about fried stuff and less baking, because of the miracle of the oil (Hamantaschen are traditionally made in Purim). But I see that you listed Mandazi as an example, so if we do fry any holiday awesome stuff, I’ll try to share :doughnut:

4 Likes

My apologies on mis-placing Hamantaschen in the holiday calendar. I grew up with several Jewish friends, one a best friend from 5th grade through senior year. Her grandmother made them for just about every event that ever came up. They often invited me to Hanukkah nights, so in my mind, they just went hand in hand. I still miss them. LOL

And yes, if there is something traditional for the holiday that is delicious and fried, go for it! My soft-sort-of-rule for this, is if it’s something they might cook on Great British Bake Off, then it’s fair game here. They’ve certainly made things like fried donuts, as well as baked flatbreads around open fires, etc.

And now that I’m remembering those holiday celebrations, this pregnant lady totally wants latkes… All the latkes.

4 Likes

The non pregnant lady would also like latkes please.

5 Likes

Be careful… I might bite if someone tries to take the latkes away…

2 Likes

No worries, any excuse to make and eat yummies is ok in my book, regardless of the traditional time for it :slight_smile:
As a kid I preferred latkes to sofganyot (jelly doughnuts, sort of) in Hannukah.

3 Likes

Working on my entry today! Gingerbread Bundt Cake with Maple Cinnamon Glaze!

6 Likes

Gotta love it when the cake releases from the pan perfectly!

2 Likes

Here’s my entry. Can’t wait to see what you all come up with!

3 Likes

Shoot! I totally forgot about this.

1 Like

Me too!! And I baked scones just this morning - all gone now of course but were served with homemade (and homegrown) strawberry jam! I baked gemberkoek for my mum’s Christmas package the other day (shared that recipe here previously).

1 Like

Fear not! The challenge is open for entries until New Year’s Day! Plenty of time to bake something fun. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I completely forgot to link my entry!
Here she goes!

3 Likes

Here is my entry!

3 Likes

Ah, I have an entry! Thanks to @AudiobookLover for suggesting it!

3 Likes

Reminder: You have until midnight tonight to post a baking project!

1 Like

I made it!

3 Likes

:christmas_tree: :cookie: :gift: :cupcake: :christmas_tree: :pie: :gift: :clinking_glasses: :christmas_tree: :champagne: :gift: :cookie: :christmas_tree: :cupcake: :gift: :pie: :christmas_tree: :clinking_glasses: :gift: :champagne: :christmas_tree:

Voting is now OPEN in this challenge! Scroll to the bottom of the first post to vote!

:christmas_tree: :cookie: :gift: :cupcake: :christmas_tree: :pie: :gift: :clinking_glasses: :christmas_tree: :champagne: :gift: :cookie: :christmas_tree: :cupcake: :gift: :pie: :christmas_tree: :clinking_glasses: :gift: :champagne: :christmas_tree:

The winner of the Great Lettuce Craft Holiday Bakeoff is… a tie!

@saranethx and her Cranberries and Cream Danish Braid has tied with @Abbeeroad’s Yule Log Cake! Congratulations to both our winners. Please send me a PM with your email address so I can send your Amazon gift card. And thank you to everyone who participated and voted!

14 Likes

Wow! Thank you!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Oh, how exciting! Thank you so much! :two_hearts:

2 Likes