Theme request: something in between

The white is really bright, and the black is very dark… when you get to considering more themes, could we have something in between? I would go with a pale sage green or tan background & dark sepia or very deep red text, but am open to other options that are similarly slightly less stark. :green_heart:

4 Likes

I prefer the boring pale blue of microsoft…:smiley:

This works also; my only objection to pale blue is that it’s even more sleep-cycle-distorting than bright white.

1 Like

I really don’t have a preference…I have three different screens that I work among plus the TV so I am constantly looking at all different things…I rarely use my phone…so I am fine with whatever is decided

1 Like

I would also love an in between option. Anything, it doesn’t matter what for me as I have a screen dimmery thingamadoodle on this tablet I’m using. Any mid-range tone will be easier on my eyes than stark white or black :slightly_smiling_face:

So, like maybe I changed out of work clothes but I’m still wearing a bra :laughing:

7 Likes

Yeah…it is the contrast and not the brightness of the screen…

1 Like

I like the idea of sepia or soft green. I usually have my ebooks in sepia. I don’t like the dark theme. I have trouble reading it for some reason.

2 Likes

Echoing a sepia-ish tone. Although anything midway in contrast would be good.

1 Like

I know this is a lot, but I think it would be really cute to have themes that do with seasons and holidays too. I play one rround of Solitaire everyday on my phone and my game has that feature. I think it’s really cute and fun.

1 Like

Black on white is the most readable and for those with impaired vision, the only way to go. I find white on black tiring to read and I just quit reading way sooner. Where ever you go with colors, just keep readability and high contrast in mind. Those of us with failing eyes will love you.

1 Like

My understanding is that it depends very much on what sort of vision impairment you’ve got; I’ve also heard a lot of people say they can’t do the stark black/white versions & need something with a very little bit less contrast. Either way, the point of the themes is that we get to pick the one that works best for us so nobody gets something that doesn’t work for their eyes forced on them. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Honestly, a (small, but significant) part of why I kind of ghosted the old site was that the site redesign was too bright and causing me headaches and eyestrain. :frowning: It’s something that I still struggle with. I use screen filters on my phone and home computer. Having a range of options would be nice for accessibility.

1 Like

Yay for options! I’m happy with light, but I’d also like a middle option at some stage - sage green, aqua blue, sepia all sound good. I found dark a bit hard, but pleased it works well for others.

1 Like

Just plopping a link to the Dark Side news here in case someone didn’t even see it yet. Carry on. :smile:

1 Like

YES! ADA compliance is super important! Mods - please hit me up if you want some guidelines/rules of thumb (web compliance is now part of my day job). I would love a pale grey with black text an option to change the calls to action to something other than turquoise (cause eeewww).