Tucson Christmas Eve

You may not know this, but Santa’s reindeer can’t really fly around the world in one night; local subcontractors provide teams to pull the sleigh.

Here in Arizona, jackalopes make most of the deliveries. Babe the blue ox does the job in Minnesota, and I’ve heard sasquatch covers most of the PNW, though nobody’s ever gotten photographic evidence.

This is my entry in the December Stitch a long (theme: Baby, it’s Cold Outside, and you can enter through the end of the month). Stitch Along 2020-to the End of Time!

I planned this as an embroidery project, but found a felting kit on closeout, and decided to try making a jackalope. That was so much fun, I used it to create the butte behind my house, and a saguaro.

There is some embroidery on the cactus, and the 'lope’s antlers are floss-covered wire.

I 3D printed the frame. Tinkercad has outlines of every US state and many other countries and provinces for easy printing.

Here’s what it looked like before being whacked with the Christmas stick:

My only other needle felting experience: IMG_20201212_163024_kindlephoto-569705780

20 Likes

Awwww, this is SO CUTE! It’s wonderfully original, and I’m sure will be a treasured ornament for a long time! XD

1 Like

Thanks! At 7" high, it’s too big for the tree, but now you’ve given me the idea…

My husband has already claimed it for his own.

1 Like

Oh, well, wall decoration or whatever it is, it’s so charming! XD

1 Like

This is awesome! So fun! And quite a jump from your previous needle felting.

1 Like

Wait, wha, you went from a needlefelted parsnip to this? Excellent! I hope you had fun with it!

1 Like

I LOVE THIS! We’ve jackalopes 'round these parts, too, and I wonder if they’re helping Santa.

1 Like

That is brilliant. I love it and is so original

1 Like

I believe 'lopes have the franchise for much of the west, but I can only speak with certainty for Arizona.

1 Like

So cute! Love the Arizona frame!!

1 Like

Thanks, Storm!

That reindeer is fabulous!

1 Like

Thanks! it’s a jackalope (antlered jackrabbit indigenous to the American west)

That is so awesome! I love the jackalope. And the desert scene is wonderful.

1 Like

Sorry for misidentifying, it’s awesome!

1 Like

So original!!

1 Like

I just love this!! It looks perfect on our tree and she 3D printed all the states we have lived in. She colored them and our tree is spectacular!

1 Like