Twelve trees quilt

Oh, there’s something to think about… I seen the batting edges stitched together, even overlapped a bit. If I ever make a quilt of any sort of size I think I’ll do that and also quilt over those joining seams to add some strength.

1 Like

I agree- I hadn’t thought about that. I know the Wendi Gratz also does some stitch in the ditch quilting to secure the back to the front, so she might add a little more support by doing that.

@Edel, it looks like you had the backing fabric on each block. Somewhere, I have the beginnings of a log cabin QAYG that is done like that. I never finished it because I didn’t understand, at the time, how the blocks were joined. I should see if I can find it to finish it off.

It’s actually pretty straight forward. You sew the blocks together with the back of the blocks together. (Because the backing fabric is on, that will mean that the right side of that fabric will be facing one another)

When you sew very close to the block edges, it will bring the edges of the backing fabric to the front of the blocks.

Turn them under and stitch down to the top of the block, do all the blocks in a row, and then attach each row in the same way.

Let me know if you’re having trouble and I’ll draw pictures or take photos.

1 Like

I’ve got a quilt that was made qayg and the person who made has put strips of fabric between each block, front and back.

3 of the seams are machined, the 4th hand stitched down.

1 Like

Thanks, @Edel! I think I get it. So, no hand sewing? Or do you hand sew on the top?

1 Like

@GMPNQ I’ve seen that technique too, but I didn’t fancy all that hand sewing.

@craftADDchick nope, no hand sewing.

1 Like

Excellent! I think the method for my log cabin quilt is similar, but you machine sew the front seams and hand sew the ones on the back. No hand sewing is much better!

1 Like

That came out fantastically @Edel!

This is beautiful! Even each square could be it’s own MAQ! How do you get these quilts done so quickly?

1 Like

I actually have little patience, so when I start something I tend to motor through it, if I set this aside I find it difficult to restart…I want all the things done now :grin:

2 Likes

This quilt is so beautiful!! Wow!!

1 Like

I favorited this post. I love this pattern, and your version, and colorways, really speaks to me.

2 Likes

Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto!

Ha! Right! These muted colors just SCREAM at me!! I love how organic they are. Similar, yet different. Soooooo yummy.

I love it! Very cool pattern, and the trees are fun!