Upcycled Pillow - Hippy-ki-yi-yay

This was a fun upcycled project, using up a pair of retired red velour track pants (I miss wearing them so!). The fringe was glued onto a piece of Stich Witch tape, after I realized that trying to iron the yarn to it was a no-go. Trying to get all the fringe pieces lined up inside the pillow was a bit of a hair pulling “never again” few moments but once I turned it right side out, they were fine. The word “Love” is a single chain of crochet that was stitched to the pillow top at the beginning of the project. It’s a fairly small piece, as the width was a “tube” of leg from the original garment. I’m not in a hurry to try another but maybe someday…

9 Likes

What a cool and fun way to get to keep your track pants!

1 Like

Velour sounds like it would make a very soft and cozy pillow. I love the hippie vibe it has!

1 Like

Love the dread-like fringe!
Is that yarn you bought, or something you made?

1 Like

Thanks; yes! I’m selling this one but still have quite a bit of pant left to play with! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thank you; there’s just something so special about velour or velvet…:two_hearts:

I bought the wool for the writing and the fuzzy blue acrylic in the fringe. The pompom-looking cotton yarn in the fringe was from my sister. I keep finding things it’s perfect for.

1 Like

I’m thinking that lovely yarn you found recently might work well for this kind of fringe!

These colors and textures together are luscious. I don’t know if I’ve seen the combination before, but now I want it in my life!

2 Likes

I was thinking the same!

1 Like

I love the contract of the red velour and the teal yarn letters.

1 Like

Thank you. It’s one of my favorites - that and turquoise/deep orange.

1 Like

That looks so cool with the crocheted lettering, I will have to remember that technique!

Have you ever seen how doll makers sew wefts of hair before stitching to a doll’s head? Your fringe could be pre-made in a similar way so it’s a bit easier to assemble. A friend of mine trims scarves like that, it looks great.

1 Like

That’s a great idea! I’m familiar with the concept but not the process and will have to check that out. Thanks!

It’s really easy. Here’s a video tutorial using yarn and paper. This is such a great way to make fringe, you can control the length and spacing, colour lay out. You could make a looped fringe in the same sort of way too, that would look great with the yarns you used for your groovy cushion!

1 Like

Thanks so much - so sweet of you to share this! I really appreciate it!

1 Like

Well I really like your project & would enjoy seeing more. If I can help you make it easier, chances of future projects increase! Lol, I’m so selfish like that :wink:

1 Like

Haha, fair enough! Although I have to say, after watching that video I now really, really want to try making those dolls! :heart_eyes: