Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong --Long Live Scraps!

Many of you sew a project and then are left with the task of what to do with the scraps…

Some of you simply throw them away (HORROR! :wink: )…

But, for the rest of us, what do you do?

Let’s share ideas for scrap storage, scrap projects, scrap exchanges, etc.

How about a monthly project contest as well using a simple pattern and ONLY scraps?

I’ll begin:

Here is my scrap station. I dump all scraps into cotton scraps, whites, and other.

I then sort by strips, selvedges, squares, tiny pieces. There is a method to my madness. I work from top down: the largest scrap I can get to the tiniest.

My box of cut scraps, 5 inches, 3-1/2 inches, and finally, 2 inches. I found these sizes to be most useful because of the math…:grin:

2 inches sorted by color:

Here is one of the projects I use the 2 inch squares in…a simple fabric basket that @MareMare taught me how to make!

30 Likes

You’re so organized!
And I love that little basket from the 2" squares.

2 Likes

I love your system of organization.

2 Likes

I would love to play! My fabric scraps are somewhat organized but the containers are getting too full! Since I can’t bear to throw away the pretties, I would love to do something with them.

1 Like

My one regret from our trip to Asheville last April is that I didn’t have more time to spend with you at your house rummaging your craft rooms. Then again, I would have been tempted to abscond with more than the yarn scraps you so generously donated to my cactus crocheting binge! Not that I don’t have my own stash of scrappy bit. I’ll take some photos of how it’s all organized and a project or two. I have plans for a big project for myself this year. Glad you started this topic! :star_struck:

3 Likes

What a great way to deal with the scraps! I have my fabric sorted by color and keep some scraps mixed in with everything else, but your system would make me actually use the scraps, I think.

2 Likes

I haven’t even sewed in about two years now and all my scraps are still in boxes from moving. But… I’m moving again in a few months and I think I feel my machine calling me. I would love to unpack the scraps and start using them :+1:t2:

1 Like

Impressive organization!

1 Like

Ooooh, I have a couple scrappy projects to share after I send my Little Good Things Swap a little more time has passed.

1 Like

Ooh, I’m in! I was just staring at my bin of “scraps too small to make doll clothes out of” last night and wondering what to do with them. I may have to start cutting them down into squares!

2 Likes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I want all the tiny bits that generally go into the trash. Every time someone mentions they sew, I don’t hear what they say for a good 2 minutes as i contemplate the weirdness level of asking about their scraps.

13 Likes

Edited

12 Likes

WOW! @JoyfulClover This is exactly WHY I wanted to start this thread…to see what gorgeous things we can all have! That is just a beautiful beautiful piece…all of them are, but the one for you (well deserved, btw!)…wow

3 Likes

Selvages…yes, for each piece of fabric I get, I immediately tear/cut off the selvages…it is a habit of mine from my clothes sewing days because selvages are woven much tighter and should not be used in clothing (although, I have! :slight_smile: )

I throw them into a dollar store basket and periodically, sort them in project bags…sometimes by color, sometimes by theme…

I then sew them together for even more future projects!

17 Likes

I keep larger scraps with the original fabric, but I also have a “small bits” pile, an ancient scrap box with stuff from at least a decade ago, and a box next to the embroidery machine full of bits to pin together for doing embroidered ATCs. Possibly a little more organization would be useful.

1 Like

What ever works for you is the best…everyone has different ways of working and being creative…my personal mantra is the messier the better…once I get going on a project, my space gets very very messy and then I have to spend time putting everything back! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@AIMR awww! Well, thank you!

have you checked out spirtcloths website?

here are her free classes: https://clothwhispering.com/
but here is where she introduces them: https://spiritcloth.typepad.com/spirit_cloth/online-classes/

These were my intro to her ideas. I would gradually like to move more towards what I consider to be story cloth, because each of hers seems to have a story to tell. And I won’t lie, some of it definitely is because there are little creatures found everywhere. And I am helpless to resist their draw.

I rarely fangirl, but there are some I turn into Louise with Boys4Now, and Jude Hill is one of them. (also, Lt. Joe Kenda, and Kelly Siegler)

6 Likes

Thank you for the links…I love her attitude and her stuff…I will add her to my monthly contributions to artists who inspire me!

2 Likes

I want to hug you, because I want everyone to love her.

If she hosted a retreat, I’d pack my dogs up tonight to camp on her lawn.

(Which is probably why it’s a bad idea for her. Also, restraining orders are a thing. ‘Officers, this lady wants all my scraps. And wants me to endlessly talk.’

Next thing you know. Slammertime!)

3 Likes

I may have to adopt this too. :wink:

1 Like