Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong --Long Live Scraps!

Okay but I am the kind of person who buys scraps intentionally… I should definitely be here. I have an excuse! the things I want them for are tiny!

5 Likes

@witchery I buy scraps intentionally, as well. I find some nice pieces on eBay from a couple of fabric sellers. Most of my projects are small and/or a mix of lots of different fabrics, so scraps are perfect! We should swap scraps sometime. :slight_smile:

I have made 2 sets of fabric embroidered inchies, and I love them so much. I have a ziplock bag of the tiniest scraps for future inchies.

5 Likes

My mom used to call any dress upon which she had dropped food and drink her “soup dress”, you would just have to boil it for another meal! lol!!

4 Likes

Squee!! Excitement!

2 Likes

I so badly want to show them off now, but I can’t ruin the surprise. I think you will really like them. Lots and lots of texture! :blush::blush::blush:

5 Likes

I have been meaning to get a pic of my scraps to join in, but keep forgetting! Though I must say, my scrap stash pales in comparison, lol. I try to donate a lot of fabric/larger scraps scraps to our local library every year to keep my personal stash down. My house is SMALL!

Joyful - I LOVE your slow cloth pieces!

Anyway, here are some of my recent scrappy projects. I hope to get a lot more of these done this year!

A scrappy bookmark for curiousfae:

Scrappy wings for girls’ Halloween costumes:

And a scrappy pouch I embellished for the Garage Sale:

I’m also trying to use scraps for jewelry making - longer 1-inch wide pieces wrap great around clothesline!

OH! And I want to make more fabric beads, too L2E!! So fun.

16 Likes

Beautiful and practical use of scraps! I love the embellished purse …

Those wings…just wow…I would wear them to work… :wink:

2 Likes

I decided to start making a wreath with the fabric rope, but have learned already that I do not want to work with the huge ball I made yesterday; I’ll be cutting it into smaller strands for weaving.

6 Likes

oh…so glad you said that…I made a yarn covered wreath one year and it nearly broke my arm wrapping ti with a huge ball of scrap yarn I had tied together…ugh…

and, wow…such pretty rope…I wonder if my huge crochet hook could make something with that…hmmm…must try!

3 Likes

I had trouble with a J hook…but maybe one of the humongous ones!

2 Likes

And also, with the fabric rope, the longer it is, the more it wants to come apart as it is woven through. I think making a wreath with fabric rope is a better do it all small bits at a time: get the rope started, then weave a bit, then when rope gets small add more to it, then weave a bit. I chose a big wreath, so even with my big ball, I’ll probably need to more more rope, so when I get to that point, that’s what I’ll do.

A continuous ongoing fabric stash buster for sure!

3 Likes

I make those fabric bowls using strips…when we had a moderator meet up, some of the mods wrapped all the cords before they got started but I prefer the wrap as you go…it takes a bit longer but then you can control where the color is as well…

5 Likes

You guys, these projects are all so inspiring! The wreath and the earrings and the pouch and the bookmark - all your ideas and creations are wonderful! My fingers are itching to make some little things today.

I’m also someone who keeps bits whenever I think I can reuse/remake them - paper and cord/ribbons from nice shopping bags, spare buttons, tags and pins and card. Now you’ve all inspired me, it’s time for a rummage!

4 Likes

Love it! :laughing:

I SO want to make fabric rope this year, too! I want to do wrapped ornaments with it…so,
targeting xmas, lol.

The wreath idea is great - can’t wait to see how it develops!! Wrap as you go seems like a good strategy - good to know!

3 Likes

I saw some wooden pears wrapped with it and they were so gorgeous…I have some that I saved from the dumpster at the last minute…glad I did!

4 Likes

@Abbeeroad I love those! The wings are amazing, but I especially love the bookmark.

4 Likes

Looking good!

10 Likes

Loving it!! Are you going to embellish it with anything when it’s done?

3 Likes

looks terrific…I bet it would look good on a foam wreath as well…guess a hot glue gun would have to be used…hmmm…ideas ideas!

2 Likes

I’m not sure. I feel like it’ll need something, but what?

2 Likes