Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong --Long Live Scraps!

I’ve got my first couple scrap projects to share.

First of all, a vintage scrap from my great-aunt’s stash turned into a doll dress

And then some 3.5x5 squares turned into an itty-bitty boxy pouch for the Good Little Things swap.

And another for a midwinter pick-me-up for my Aunt.

I’ll be making lots more of these since they’re a great use for too-small-for-doll-clothes scraps and when my mom showed my aunt’s pouch to a group of her friends I got several requests to make more.

Here’s the pattern if anyone else wants to try:

15 Likes

I’ve already admired that perfect tiny doll dress, but I’m going to admire it again because it’s fab! And those boxy pouches are gorgeous - your stitching is so precise and neat!

4 Likes

I love the this! I have made those macaroon purses that are only the size of a quarter…they are cute but a lot of work!

I think I will try these…just as cute and probably more functional!

So glad to see your doll dresses again…I have always looked forward to them and just know that your dolls have an enviable wardrobe!!

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, those boxy pouches are cute!!

3 Likes

I have to try the mini pouches. And practice adding zippers!
So tiny and cute - eeeeeeek!

3 Likes

So many awesome ideas in here for scrappy projects!
@LupaWulf happens to be searching for a particular fabric. If anyone happens to have this in their stash, or info about it, she would be grateful. :slight_smile: ISO Name of Children’s Farm Animal Fabric

2 Likes

These are so cute! Thank you for linking to the tutorial!

2 Likes

It’s not much, but I got over my fear and made my first Teesha Moore patch! I can see how these could be addicting.

After this, I pulled out my biggest scrapbusting WIP and have made some solid progress (latch hook rug) - this might finally be the year I finish it! I also watched an entire Scrap Quilting class on bluprint (previously Craftsy), so I’m hoping to try some of those techniques soon! I did definitely have the thought that I might need to finish some of my “real” fabric crafts, in order to generate enough scraps for all of these other projects! :rofl:

10 Likes

This looks great! So cheerful :cherry_blossom:

I’ve looked at teesha moore patches before and wanted to try something like that - they look like a fun thing to make, and maybe a good small project to to put in a little kit for crafting while travelling. And a great scrapbuster!

I’ve seen cool bags made with these, what other things have people made with them?

2 Likes

I made a notebook covers with mine…makes them really heavy, though…I have seen sewing machine covers as well…

@magpie made me a square one that I use daily as a mini coaster on my workspace…

3 Likes

I don’t have any myself but I have made a few for others. the first couple were nervewracking but I really got into it and it was really fun. Any project where I don’t have to be NEAT.

What? I was just wondering the other day why I hadn’t gotten any emails recently about course sales from craftsy. I loved when they would make courses free for a whole weekend or have half price sales. I think I have seen some emails from blueprint and just deleted without reading them! I need to go check it out.

Absolutely. The few I made it was fun to use random weird bits I had laying around.

I’ve never asked for any in a swap because I didn’t know what I would do with them. I know people make purses out of them but I don’t carry a purse (although I do use a lot of tote bags for project bags) But a notebook cover is a really good idea.

2 Likes

Here is one I made with some very special ones I got in a swap along with my Woodstock stuff…
woodstock

13 Likes

That looks really cool!

2 Likes

Those are so cool! I’ve made notebook covers and I’ve been saving some up with the idea of making window valences.

4 Likes

You should give them a shot! Even though they’re really small it’s great zipper practice and super easy.

Did you find the class useful? I’ve never watched a Blueprint/Craftsy class but I’m intrigued.

4 Likes

I thought so. I’ve watched it all the way through twice now, once just because I thought it looked interesting, and now with some intent to actually do the projects. To be fair though, I don’t know what they’re charging for individual classes these days - I’ve had the full site subscription since they opened it two years ago. So I can’t comment on whether it’s worth the price, per se.

3 Likes

I can’t believe I only notice this craftalong now! I’m preparing for an exam now but next week I can hopefully get back to crafting. I have been working on reducing my stash for a while. I don’t have that much but at least half of my stash is really small scraps.

5 Likes

You would be a wonderful addition to this craftalong…I have seen some really good ideas…I am putting together a large quilt and plan on using the scraps to make a bunch of smaller projects, including a name pillow for the baby.

I am cutting off the selvages this morning and will start cutting after morning chores.

3 Likes

I made a little pendant out of scraps today. Not sure what I’ll do with it.

13 Likes

ah ha! I would never thought of a pendant…but good idea…I could see this selling really well at some of the festivals this summer…it has such a boho feel…love the bright colors you use…

3 Likes