Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong --Long Live Scraps!

How fun! I have done that diagonal one…but seriously, I am not into quilt making for the “speed”…I really do like your straight one…the colors are lovely and the pattern is random but looks interesting!

Nice job on both!

3 Likes

Thanks! We only did the “race” because my aunt thought it would be fun. I think I was the only one who actually finished my top on that day :slight_smile:

I did another one but messed up the measurements so it came out very long and skinny. So, I cut it in half and used one half for the front, and one for the back! I just have to bind it (which I should absolutely do while I’m home until April 6th).

5 Likes

Lol. Umm, yeah, I had that issue too. I even ended up a straight seam at one point, but can’t remember why now.
I then free motioned each stripe (whole width of quilt) separately!

I love both of yours. The blues & yellows have such a fresh feel and I love that the diagonals change in the first one.

3 Likes

@craftADDchick I really like the horizontal one of yours. I have never done one because I’ve never had a jelly roll. I cut all my scraps up into as many 2.5" strips, all of different lengths, and designs. But I’m really sick of working with them now, so they’re shelved for now!

4 Likes

Thanks! The horizontal one was made with a batik jelly roll. For the blue & yellow one, I cut my own strips. There’s a fabric store near me that sells all fabric for $2.99 a yard. They have decent quality quilting cotton, but sometimes the color or pattern is unusual. Works great for cutting into strips, however!

I found a tutorial online to figure out how many strips (or total length) I’d need. It was helpful because I wasn’t starting with a jelly roll for the blue & yellow one.

4 Likes

Scavenger hunt time! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@craftADDchick This pattern would be perfect for another vertical strip quilt!

@Edel I think this would look really neat with scrappy strips!

You end up with a 60" x 80" quilt and based on the instructions, it sounds like it would go together pretty fast! I have all my strips to make this, I just need to get started.

15 Likes

@AudiobookLover I really like that one, it’s a lovely design

3 Likes

I really like that pattern!. It does look like a fun way to use up strips. I’m looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

3 Likes

I did a vertical strip design for the back of a quilt a couple years ago, just three colors, but it would be great for scraps.

12 Likes

Wow!! That’s a really neat back!! I agree that that design would look good with scraps!

If that was the back, what did the front look like?

4 Likes

Thanks!

14 Likes

:star_struck: That looks like a ton of work! It came out really well!! I love that you made a double sided quilt!

4 Likes

All scraps here! Blue cotton leftover from making rainbow baby quilts, white flannel from a torn bottom sheet, a small linen scrap, and spare elastic from some name badges that were getting thrown out when I was in college. (20+ years later & it’s still in decent shape!)

Post here: Juliet flag mask

9 Likes

That’s something that’s been puzzling me for years: why does some elastic start to break down within a year or two, but you can find a package with unmistakably 1960s labelling that is still perfectly sound? It’s a question for our best scientific minds (once they have a bit more free time.)

3 Likes

@Lynx - I’d like to try making these pots. How did you make the coils stay together?

Hot glue!

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the quick answer!

It is just crappy quality, there are many different possible formulations for the elastic, some more long lasting than others. Race to the bottom and all that.

2 Likes

It probably has something to do with latex allergies from using real rubber. I checked my vintage elastics and they appear to have a higher content of natural rubber while the newer ones have more synthetic rubber. Synthetic rubber doesn’t seem to do as well with being stretched.

Interesting observation and question!

2 Likes