Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong --Long Live Scraps!

Those masks look great. The cheery fabrics make this situation a whole lot less depressing.

4 Likes

Now that I’m teaching at home for the long haul, I have been digging into the scraps. My daughter is now scrunchie wealthy. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I’ve had this craftalong on “tracking” for awhile as a reminder to get back to it. Now I have lots to read through! Before I scroll back up I’m going to drop my latest scrappy project here - using fabric and embroidery floss bits. :blue_heart:

3 Likes

Finally found a use for those large scraps…actual yardage in some cases…that have been sitting around forever. Rather “old-maidish” and old-fashioned prints. I’ve just never found a good use for them…but I still have them!

Surgical masks! there are so many patterns out there, and advice, and material suggestions. But in many cases it just comes down to basic protection for health workers and “something is better than nothing”. We’ve had several calls from local health centers for masks. This is the link I am working from right now. I’m going to run out of elastic, so I’ll probably switch to ties.

How to sew masks

Here’s the first batch. I’m getting faster. I have added a floral wire nose piece and changed the spacing of the pleats a bit.

10 Likes

There are several people here who are making these as well as the more fitted masks. I followed a tutorial by @tendstowardschaos that look like the ones you are making as well…those prints will be welcomed…the are still very lovely!

I am using a boatload of red, white and blue prints to try to get some more for men…not sure how many would want to wear cute little owls… :smiley:

I think it is a great use of fabric…

6 Likes

There’s a new Lettuce Craft Challenge that might be right up you Fabric Scrappers alley…

4 Likes

A quick, scrappy project to quell toddler bickering over the one set of Owlette wings we have…

13 Likes

Awesome little wings!

2 Likes

Now they’ll bicker over who has which set! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Great job, though.

3 Likes

Truth! Ha!

3 Likes

I finally finished my scrap quilt. The fabric at the back wasn’t wide enough, so I inserted a scrappy strip

16 Likes

@Edel, that came out SO BEAUTIFUL!

1 Like

I wanted to get it finished so I had some headspace to plan what I’m making for you. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

It turned out really nice! The back piece almost looks like a bunch of nautical flags…

4 Likes

It’s wonderful. The back strip is entrancing too, those ziggetty zaggety triangles, wow!

3 Likes

Really like how the back came out! :green_heart:

2 Likes

Love the strip you added to the back! A real double sided quilt.
Gorgeous work.

3 Likes

This is just phenomenal. I’ve realized we like similar patterns. I’ve been looking at one in the Connecting Threads catalog very similar to this. The strip on the back is most excellent!

2 Likes

Wow that is gorgeous!!

2 Likes

Love the strip detail on the back! It totally looks intentional :heart: The whole thing is fantastic of course. :wink:

2 Likes