Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong --Long Live Scraps!

Nick away!

I should have taken a photo of the mass of sewn together scraps before I cut into it. Next one for sure!

1 Like

So you sewed them all together first and then cut them? lol glad you caught me…I was thinking I had to do each label one at a time…DUH! ha ha ha

1 Like

Lol…yeah, I did a big square…or aimed for a big square. Here’s one I did manage to take a pic of…this one became the background for the survivor merit badge I made.

Once I cut the circle out, I re-stitched leftover pieces together again, or just cut off weird angles so I could use what’s left.

9 Likes

did you sew on sort sort of backing? like muslin or washable stabilizer?

1 Like

I didn’t. I just started with two scraps, sewed those together, then added more and more and more. It is definitely a little wonky, lol.

2 Likes

When I make fabric master boards, I take a piece of muslin…or unloved piece of fabric…and cover it with scraps. Start with larger scraps and then add smaller. Pin, pin, pin, or use a dissolvable fabric stabilizer like sulky to hold everything down. Then random machine stitch all over the place. Dissolve the stabilizer, dry, and create. I also like to rub the wet fabric together to fray the edges of the bits of fabric to give it more of a distressed look. If I’ve missed anchoring a piece well enough, just add more stitching.

See More little triangle zippered pouches and a few extras

4 Likes

Yes! Fabric master boards…that’s what I did! Though not as cool as yours…

3 Likes

I love a day when I take my selvedges and sew them all into a piece. Then I cut out my normal sequence of squares from scraps, 5 inch, 3-1/2, 1-1/2. Everything else, I do what @marionberries does…I do use a piece of washable bonding to stick everything down (or washable glue) and then stitch the heck out of it.

It is a very satisfying project to end up with new fabrics to play with!

3 Likes

@aimr Very satisfying. But I’m always a little huffed at the end that my stash of scraps hasn’t seemed to diminish. Are they breeding? Or do I just need to make more scrappy projects?

3 Likes

ha ha I have to agree…there is no explanation other than they are breeding…my bin of scraps never seems to go down…good thing, I guess…my one cat loves to sleep there and has since he was a kitten! ha ha

5 Likes

Latest square (ish) of scraps…

15 Likes

Can’t wait to see what you transform it into!

2 Likes

A friend just posted this. Very cool. Wish I had the time and patience to create something like this.

Embroiderers’ Guild of Victoria

lo1tSpon5sorhored ·

This stunning optical illusion quilt is the work of quilt artist Beatrice Gilbert.
It’s titled ‘Worlds Apart’ and is pieced cotton framed in silk.

10 Likes

WOW! Me too, lol.

1 Like

Wow, this is absolutely amazing!

1 Like

I spent January ironing and cutting down scraps.
5 inch squares, 4 inch squares and strips 2.5-1inch strips and a bin of crumbs

Then instead of doing the things I was supposed to do in February I did this.

378 times…

16 Likes

Good for you busting those scraps!

1 Like

Oooh that is a lot of lovely squares. (I’m looking at one of your quilts right now

3 Likes

All I make is stuff out of scraps! Why haven’t I posted any projects here? Scraps are my favourite!

Rainbow baby books
Coasters
Coasters
Mugrugs
Ticker Tape “Falling Stars” MAQ
Affirmations
Affirmations
Affirmations
Affirmations
Scrappy Veggie Pouch
Scrappy veg pouch
Scrappy veg quilt
Scrappy veggie quilt
Scrappy Book
Scrappy book
Scrappy book
Scrappy book
Scrappy bead art doll

A little collection, hahaha!

9 Likes

@AIMR, would you still be into a monthly scrappy prompt/challenge/project? I’m not feeling very painterly or quilty, yarny or stitchy these days but the bins of fabric bits call to me, always. I am feeling the itch to stitch!

3 Likes