Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong --Long Live Scraps!

Hey, hey hey…I put the names of everyone who contributed a completed project in January and drew out a name for a little prize…the winner, is @Trillian!!!

Thank you for posting all of your pouches and tutorial links…and of course, the little doll dresses…

Keep on using up those scraps!

13 Likes

Well done @Trillian :smile:

4 Likes

Congrats @Trillian!!

2 Likes

How exciting! Congrats @Trillian!

2 Likes

Congrats @Trillian!

Here’s another Farmer’s Wife 1930s block. From sewing scraps, not from quilting cotton. The orange is actually linen. But if those ladies back then could make them from feedsacks then my linen will do. It’s cloudy outside so the picture doesn’t do the fabric justice.

9 Likes

I agree! My great grandmother used all sorts of mixed fabrics in her quilts…even old sweaters and denim…the quilts were sort of a mix of everything fabric that was on the farm.

love the linen…it is wonderful that you are really taking on your project with such an adventurous 1930’s spirit!

2 Likes

Yay Trillian! :smile:

All you quilters with your scraps blow my mind. I can’t do precision. I’m more of a haphazard scrapper lol.

Also…I enjoyed reading about the economy quilt. What a different world. Still a great idea!

4 Likes

I’m terrible with precision too, but these blocks have turned out well because they are paper pieced. It’s so much easier.

I have way more sewing scraps than quilting scraps. Quilting fabrics have nice small prints and can be used for lots of things. Sewing scraps are harder to get rid of.

3 Likes

Trillian’s Prize!!

How cool is this gift card background!?

CB277222914

11 Likes

I have three boxes set aside to make three (4 really) quilts. One is a finished quilt top I got from STS which will have a fleece backing and bias tape as binding and will turn into two kiddie quilts. Definitely. One is a bunch of striped men’s shirts (white and blue mostly, maybe with green), that’s a maybe. And one has shirts and blouses with flowers that my mom used to wear, and I’ve been thinking of adding some of her left over scraps and precut silk squares (I still have that quilt too, used to be silk blouses and shirts she’d buy on flea markets just for making this). I really want to make a quilt from that. But I’ve never done any quilting so far except a maybe mug rug. Very intimidating.

7 Likes

@anna.wahnsinn kafe fasset has a fabulous striped shirt quilt. I did make a version of it. It’s not for the faint hearted, but you could make some squares from the shirts and use plain fabric between the ‘boxes’

This is the one I did https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=439418.0

5 Likes

holy cow…that looks like such a challenge…but it is quite mesmerizing as well and appeals to my sense of asymmetrical or wonky things…loved the one you did even more!

2 Likes

That looks really lovely! and yay for making use of what you have!

1 Like

It was crazy, but it could be simplified a lot. I just love how the stripes make boxes.

4 Likes

Ooh yes, I love love love this! My mom did make me a quilt once from lots of stripes and plain squares, but I think those boxes are gonna be it! But that’s definitely going to be the last one then. Easy peasy kiddie quilt all ready to go goes first, then practice actually making a quilt with the roses, and then we can see about those boxes. (And all of a sudden I’m much happier about having kept that box in 2004!)
My quilts would have probably have to go into the destash along though…

4 Likes

Seconding the mesmerising and the love of wonkiness, but then to me it’s the regularity of the squares that speaks to me, I’m not going to look at it for any asymmetrical impressions :smile:

1 Like

I’ve collected a small pile of autumn colours so there will be quite a few more of these blocks.

6 Likes

That is a nice collection! I know that block but have never seen it done with paper piecing…very interesting! Again, I do love that orange linen…and I just realized I have none in my stash…hmmm…going to slowly back out of this thread now and pretend I did not see the close up of your block… :smiley:

3 Likes

@anna.wahnsinn - You are a genius! Somehow I never thought of using fleece for a backing/batting quilt combo. I’ve got an ancient quilt top I may need to try that on.

@Edel - That quilt is mind blowing!

@Immaculata - nice block and I love the colors you’ve pulled for future blocks.

My scrap pile has yielded three more tiny dresses, and all reminders of these fabrics have been consigned to the “too small to think about right now” bin.

6 Likes

I am using up my linen scraps from other projects. I save the tiniest piece and even the selvages and parts I zig zag before washing…these are little meditative projects I do when I feel a little stressed…they are basically tiny projects that create the biggest mess because they are fairly spontaneous in what I want to use so I have to drag out everything from buttons to ribbons…all are about two inches or so…

16 Likes