100% wool yarn mill in Canada, spinning it old school

I just read the coolest article about a Canadian wool company in NB that’s over 100 years old, has burned down 4 times, but is still run by the same family & small staff with original machinery AND, most amazingly of all, their 100% natural fiber yarn sells for $5-10/skein, whaaaattt?! @Raury do you know of this company? @Belladune? Are they as amazing as they sound? I will be checking our local gourmet yarn shop for their products. What an incredible price!

9 Likes

How awesome! I so prefer buying from smaller companies and I really do like the more handmade characteristics of yarn rather than mass produced and synthetic!

I see they sell in the USA as well…I will have to check them out and see where…the colors look beautiful and bright!

2 Likes

They have some really I interesting patterns listed too. Like I would wear this and only sort of ironically :smile:

https://briggsandlittle.com/product/2502-arctic-circles-his-hers/

1 Like

lol they obviously have not updated their catalog in years…the hairstyles and those boxy sweaters…but yeah, you would have to wear them ironically…

Did you see their red yarn? It is the best true red I have ever seen…I am determined to get some…

2 Likes

I am very close to New Brunswick right now and my favourite wool store is here too so I’m going to check it out before we leave to see if they carry Briggs and Little.

3 Likes

I have quite a few skeins of this yarn! Tell what colour you’re looking for and I’ll get some for you if they have it at my yarn store AIMR

3 Likes

I’m going to have to check this out as well! Their story as well as their yarn! I go to a lot of yarn festivals and shops, and don’t know if I’ve seen this line.

My go to for amazing, unique yarn is Stonehenge Crazy made from the mill ends - only $13 bucks per skein! We have a LYS that stocks it, and I love it. It’s plied together and I have never seen 2 skeins alike.

https://www.stonehedgefibermill.com/products/

Edit: I just finished this article. @Magpie IT’S AMAZING! I am on the hunt, now, to find this yarn! It’s so reasonable - by design! It makes me so happy to be part of the knitting community.

1 Like

No yarn shops carry that yarn here in my town, but my sister lives in Portage, MI and so when I go visit her, I will make her take me to the one there! I love plied yarn like that…dream to knit!

1 Like

It’s a great alternative to the RIDICULOUSLY expensive Spincycle yarn.

1 Like

You gals wanna write those folks a letter letting them know how great you think they are? I’m gonna. Sometimes that’s what keeps the next gen into it, ye know? It would be great if that mill just keep on keeping on…

1 Like