2020 DeStash-Along

At first I thought you were posting a black and white photo…the pop of blue really sets off this quilt…the fabrics are all part of a charms set? Nice!

3 Likes

@Renstar I absolutely love that blue binding, and the writing and diagrams on the fabrics makes me really happy. I wish I had some yardage like that in my stash.

I’ve done my monthly reckoning for how much stash I used up, and I have to say I’m pretty pleased with the totals.

I made

• two knit squares for my foster kitty
  • 30 doll dresses (it was a busy month)
  • 14 surgical style masks
  • patch for my couch

And I used up

• 2 yards + 30 inches of fabric
  • 70 inches of elastic
  • 131 inches of ribbon
  • ~600 yards of yarn

I have never been more thankful for my stash than I was in the past month. It provided hours of entertainment, and I was finally able to use all sorts of fabric that various great-aunts had put aside for a rainy day. If the current situation doesn’t count for that I don’t know what would.

I’m still gathering pictures together for my monthly creations, but when I do most will be posted in either the 50 Projects Craft-Along, or the Harry Potter Craft-Along.

7 Likes

Yes it was a Moda one, Modern background - ink.

@Trillian, thank you

I also finished this, just the millions of ends to weave in! And blocking of course.

9 Likes

From all those little balls you unwound! Turned out really nice! You also picked a good pattern so that hiding the ends would be a bit easier…I struggle with lacy shawls…where does one hide the ends? ha ha

2 Likes

Beautiful colors. I know it’s almost summer, but it looks like a winter wonderland to me!

2 Likes

Y’all are masters of the destash! It was so fun to just scroll through the 50+ comments I’ve missed!

Pretty much everything I’ve made in the last 2 months has been all or mostly stash! WOO! This project has some bought-just-for-it-over-the-last-2-years which isn’t exactly stash, a lot of the project was only possible because of my ridiculous and varied craft stash. I mean, having sheets of copper was important to the result! :wink:

11 Likes

Can’t believe you had those cool dice to use for this! It was meant to be!

3 Likes

Well, I bought them with something related to this in mind a couple years ago. I’m just glad I figured out a way to incorporate them!

5 Likes

Another small destash:

It is en route to someone as we speak, the paper was just envelope paper so very raw but another fun project

11 Likes

I agree with what you said about not ever being more thankful for your stash! Since the pandemic, I have not once said or thought that: “Shoot, I really wish I could get to the craft store because I really need _______!” Just goes to show that perhaps I’m spending money buying things that I don’t really need, and that I am blessed to have way more than enough.

2 Likes

This weekend’s destash activity. A fabric book.
I enjoyed chilling and doing the stitching for this, as well as the binding. I found a great tutorial that holds the signatures together nicely.

The front

The back

Inside

12 Likes

I love the layout!

1 Like

This is a small destash but still happy with it. I have a habit lately of getting distracted or overwhelmed by the mess of my space. So my new tactic if I just want to make something, anything, you know when I just the need to craft, is work on the first thing I come across.

My Dad gave me this Ohio lottery promotional bag years ago. I accepted it because it’s a great bag, very sturdy, and lots of pockets for a freebie. Today I got out some leather scraps, stamp, ink pad, and some hemp string to sew the new patch on.

11 Likes

Thank you.

I totally understand the being distracted thing. I am trying to focus on doing 1 thing at a time because I have burnt toast so much recently!

And my place is a tip because I’m trying to “do stuff” whilst working from home. It’s actually creating more distraction. But since I moved I haven’t got all the furniture I need so stuff is everywhere

1 Like

I get that way when I am trying to destash…I find so many things…I like your idea of just getting it done! Love your patch…and now, you have one less thing! Way to go!

@renstar…lovely fabric book…you are doing so many nice things when in lock down

1 Like

@lady4feet What a great way to alter a promo bag! Every once in a while a promo item is actually a really good thing, but if it’s not from something that I really care about, I don’t feel comfortable “advertising” for it.

2 Likes

So many good projects and such good destashing! I have been a mental disaster since the quarantine started. I can’t focus on much of anything and it makes me sad. I have made a few masks out of necessity and those were all stashbusters. I think that’s the one crafty thing I’ve done start-to-finish since March! I haven’t even been coming here to LC because I typically can’t focus on anything longer than a tweet. :frowning_face: And then I feel guilty. {sigh}

6 Likes

It is hard to stay focused on anything. I have been more depressed since going back to social media, so I have stopped doing that and getting out a bit more, just in the back yard.

Don’t feel guilty…people are dealing with it all however they can.

Your masks are lovely…love the floral leopard!!

3 Likes

I’ve actually been terrible about de-stashing lately. I used up yards and yards of cotton making masks, but I also ordered a lot…so, that was a wash. Now, I’ve managed to add dozens of skeins of yarn to my stash (but, they’re all for planned gifts). oops

Months ago, someone (can’t remember who, sorry) mentioned an old book on economical stitching, and it had instructions for a scrap quilt. I’ve been saving my scraps of fabric and yarn for this project, and, since he loves to cut things up with my pilfered scissors, I’ve employed my 4-year old DS in helping me cut them up to make stuffing. I’m going to put my 8-year old to work making the pillows for the quilt since he wants some practice with the sewing machine.

11 Likes

Thanks for the reminder…I also have a lot of scraps from mask making. I was going to make a scrap quilt, but just not into it…then I decided I was going to make a bunch of drink coasters to send to people…but, I also remember the vintage quilt where you make pockets and fill them…I am sure I bookmarked it…I will post here when I find it.Economy Quilt!

5 Likes