2020 DeStash-Along

I realized I haven’t done my tallies since May. I’ve been doing a lot of crafting since then, so it’s a bit of a doozy.

This summer (June - August) I made

• 9 surgical masks
  • 2 pouches
  • 91 doll dresses
  • 1 doll sweater

So I have used up

• 4 yards + 6 inches of fabric
  • 3.5 yards of elastic
  • 9 yards of ribbon
  • 2 zippers
  • 1 button
    plus an unknown amount of yarn.

Almost everything except for a couple masks and a handful of doll dresses have gone on to other homes. I did buy 5 yards of muslin, but it is being quickly used up for linings. Next I’ll need to buy some thread… I have plenty of colors but I’m running out of neutrals.

6 Likes

My crafty weakness if fabric…I can’t seem to buy just a piece or two but the entire collection…I have a lot of “collections”…I have decided to start using up some of the fabrics I have saved for clothing…I don’t need clothes, but I like the construction process.

I have seen a lot of nice fun clothes online that I want to duplicate in a fashion…it is not about the money, just about the challenge. I am not a huge fan of plaid, but I do have a cute top that would like in a plaid…hope I have enough yardage.

4 Likes

I managed to use up a whole skein of bulky yarn today when I decided that I needed to make my brother a hat for his birthday being celebrated today. I don’t know if I’ve ever knit that fast before and I thank the gods the old and the new for whomever invented the bulky (6) yarns. haha! But I got it done, it fit him well, and he loved it so, there ya go.
image image

8 Likes

I just made 56 masks. These are some of the kid ones.

Since March, the total is approx 400…all from stash. I have ordered interfacing and elastic, but the fabric was stash. I do work full time, veggie garden, completely reconfigured the craft room, reorganized the basement, fostered several sets of kittens/cats, and joined several swaps. Whew. Staying home does give a person time! Time to fill up with projects.

All the masks has reduced my stash by way less than I would have thought. And highlighted my fabric hoarding ways. Everyone needs at least one bad trait, right?

9 Likes

Well, if you still have some of the castle fabric to get rid of, I might be able to help out with that! :wink:

(seriously, tho, super impressive!)

I agree, I can’t imagine 400 masks!

I used up some more stash chunky yarn today making a birthday crown for my little one to wear for her 2nd birthday next week. image

8 Likes

I’d share if I could. I purchased a layer cake of Robert Kauffman kid prints for a baby quilt. The castle was one of the 10" x 10" squares. I can get two kid masks out of one square, or one adult mask. Sorry, all used up. Please don’t cry. :smiley: Actually there were two of the castle with different color schemes and a set of those went to twin girls. I wish I had a picture!

The daycare these went too takes in kids from health care workers, and a certain percentage of lower-income kids, so masks are greatly needed. I lined the kid ones with flannel, backed by featherweight iron-on interfacing to give it some body and better droplet control. The kids love the flannel, it is so soft. I find it too hot right now, maybe in winter.

I’ve streamlined my production and can turn out at least 2 dz weekend, if I have time, sometimes more. Mindless work, but oddly satisfying.

7 Likes

I finished my b’day girl’s Oona the Puffin this morning at 1:03am- just in time!
The colors are slightly off and I dont love the eyes, but it was what could be done solely from stash. She immediately recognized her so it’s a success.

8 Likes

What a nice way to spend some time this morning, scrolling through y’all’s stash busting projects!

I had to google who Oona is, I think you captured her really well. Hope your birthday girl had a good day.

1 Like

Thank you!
I cant take credit for the design, that goes to Spin A Yarn crochet blogger/designer. Now that the birthday girl has gone to bed i’m about to do a proper post with links to the pattern.

She had a great day… I’m ready for bed, too!

:jack_o_lantern: October Themes :jack_o_lantern:

15598607641_b0762cf77a_w
{image source: https://flic.kr/p/pLoWB4}

Color: Black
Pattern: Lace
For: Charity
Challenge: 10 is such a nice round number. Make something inspired by ten - using 10 things, something that uses 10 pieces of your stash, whatever works for you.

6 Likes

Not all are black and lace really doesn’t work for masks…substitute elastic. But here’s a pile of masks for local health care facilities. They currently are going to daycares (for hosp. workers), clinics, and a hospital. I keep making them as long as they want them. And they love them!

7 Likes

The fabric is mostly from stash.

I have a question…how long after you purchase a new item must it remain in your possession before it becomes stash? One day or one hour…just curious. :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

I have pondered this as well! It’s been a entire philosophical debate in my head :joy:

1 Like

@marionberries and @lady4feet I have thought about this, too! For me, if I buy something without a specific project in mind (and it isn’t something like glue, white thread, etc.) it is immediately stash. If it is for a specific project, but I don’t make that project in a timely manner or decide not to make it, it becomes stash. Remnants, extras, and overbuys… also stash.

This is made mostly from stash! Some of the material was new when I put it aside for this project, but only the base paper we purchased especially for it. WOO!

8 Likes

Stash is a good thing! I made my first several dozen masks from stash. And I am still using fabric stash for about half of them. I just topped 500 last week. I have resorted to fat quarters for the kid ones, they have to be fun!

6 Likes

I agree that a healthy stash is a good thing for creatives! There are so many things I could not have made had I not had a stash to dig through to spark my creativity.

2 Likes

I listened to a sewing podcast today and they were saying that we shouldn’t call it stash. The word has guilty connotations of things hidden away because we’re ashamed of them. They suggest calling it a collection.i don’t have a fabric stash, I have a fabric collection. So much better

9 Likes

And a paper collection. Ephemera collection. Bead collection. Etc. Love it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like