2020 DeStash-Along

Well, who would’ve thought that I’d decide we needed a few more masks around here as we’re staring July in the face? Sigh. Maybe a few of these patterns will make these particular types a bit more comfortable/less judgmental.

9 Likes

I did a bunch in red, white and blue stars hoping to make them less controversial…tomorrow they will mandate wearing them and you know what is going to hit the fan…ugh

I love all of them…the bottom one is my favorite

2 Likes

Can’t go wrong with camouflage in Montana! I doubt we’ll be mandated any time soon, if ever; our (pretty great) governor is running for Congress. Sigh.

I’m finishing up my last batch of masks from stash and taking a break. I’ve done over 300 since March and Connecticut is currently looking good, so the demand has slowed. Hospitals and others are still stocking up for the fall, but I have to tear my craft room apart and reconfigure so we can knock a door thru to our new 3 season porch…that hasn’t started building yet. There are three heavily laden shelves to move and there is A LOT of stuff to remove, sort, thin out, and re stock the shelves after moving. Not to mention repairing the walls, painting, chasing massive dust bunnies, etc.

I must find it in my little heart to get rid of some stuff. I simply do not have the room. Repeat until I can do it.

2 Likes

I hadn’t made masks for awhile, but a couple weeks ago my elastic finally showed up… after no one was requesting masks from me anymore. I replaced the over-ear elastic in ours with a much longer piece that goes behind the neck and over the head. So much more comfortable for us and also has them fit better across the chin/jaw and nose/cheekbones.

I am so excited for you for your new addition! I hope you’ll share some of the progress once it’s underway!

2 Likes

Another quilt ufo complete! I need to find out if the children’s hospital is accepting quilt donations yet.

9 Likes

Finally “a” project to make a serious dent in my bottle brush tree decoration parts stash!

Hopefully I can unload 'em soon, too.

6 Likes

Those are fantastic! Love the nutcracker ones.
Are the star, snowman, and angel cookie cutters?

These are brilliant, I love them!

1 Like

Thank you! Yup, I scored those cutters at an Estate Sale in Jan, I think.

Thanks, @Edel!

Those are adorable! Those are brushes like are used to clean baby bottles? So creative!!

Thank you! They are decorative trees made with the same method as used for cleaning bottles (baby or otherwise) - two wires twisted together form the “trunk” and in this case jute fibers form the “branches/needles” like some kind of natural fiber or plastic would be used as bristles on an actual bottle brush. I don’t know if old bottle brush trees were originally made from actual brushes or not! :grinning:

I made a bunch of trees using my mom’s old wire brush hair curlers. Those suckers had to have been the worst things ever…and my mom used to sleep in hers! I pulled the brushes out and trimmed them to tree shapes. Since they are nylon bristles, I dye them with alcohol inks.

My MIL had several trees that actually were old bottle brushes…she used to paint them and cover them with glitter and all sorts of old lace, jewelry pieces, tiny Christmas balls…but, since they were made of natural fibers, the needles kept falling out year after year. All I have now are pictures.

Love seeing how many ways you have done your trees over the years…you have quite a collection of your own!

4 Likes

Destashed paper, and a frame which I painted it with craft paints on hand! WOO!

HowWeRoll01

11 Likes

That is funny! I like the embossed paper for the TP.

1 Like

July Themes

Reel blue 59/365 2013 by Gabrielle Ludlow, on Flickr

Color: Blue
Pattern: Abstract
For: A Group
Challenge: What’s the supply in your stash you’ve had the longest? Try to make something with it this month. As always, ask for suggestions if you’re stumped.

Y’all! We’ve made it through half a year of DeStashy Goodness, and that is nothing to sneeze at! What’s your favorite thing you’ve made so far this year? Are you finding yourself using your stash in unexpected ways with the stay-at-home restrictions most of us have been observing? If your stash has grown, what supply are you most excited about using?

5 Likes

I managed to destash a little bit more in June, but it’s for a swap and she hasn’t received yet, so I’ll have to wait to post. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have not done well following the monthly challenges! But hm, what have I had the longest… I need to look through and see! My favorite thing I’ve made… well, I’m happy with the baby blankets I made earlier in the year and I’m pretty pleased with how my one swap item turned out (to be revealed later). I feel like they were good uses of stash materials. There is something satisfying about working from stash; I think it forces us to be even more creative.

Another all-stash bottle brush tree project! This one for Halloween! Some of the “balls” on the tree have been in my stash since the early 2000s. The rest of the parts gathered over the last 4-5 years. Feels so good to get this kitty completed! (mug was thrifted, even)

8 Likes

I’m back! My sewing machine broke 4 weeks ago and took forever for it to be fixed. I finally got it back on Saturday! Here’s my latest creation in progress

12 Likes